Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Walking - Day 5



Psalm 20

May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble! May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!  May he send you help from the sanctuary and give you support from Zion! May he remember all your offerings and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices! May he grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans! May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God set up our banners! May the LORD fulfill all your petitions! Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand.  Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.  They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright. O LORD, save the king! May he answer us when we call.



It was 6:00 this morning when I began my walk today.  It was very dark outside – but the weather was nice.  I walked slowly with my head down as I listened to the Psalmist today.  The road was dark, but under the street lights, I got a glimpse of the asphalt. 

As I walked, I came to Psalm 19, and began to lift my head as I listened about our great God and His work in nature.  How nature proclaims His greatness and then moves on to talk about His wonderful word.  I pondered these thoughts as I walked, but then chapter 20 kicked in.

“May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!”  Is how the text begins – and I listened to it again and again.  I began to pray it to God, “Please God, answer me in this, my day of trouble!”  But then it dawned on me.  I am reading the Psalms straight from the Bible.  David is recording His thoughts, but (and much more importantly) he is recording the very words of God.  David is praying for me!  Yes, that’s impressive.  But what struck me even more is that God – at the root of this writing – was praying for me!!

May the Lord hear His prayer for me on my behalf.  May the Lord protect me and send help with the difficulty that I am experiencing.  May the Lord accomplish all that He wants to accomplish in my time of trouble and grant my heart’s desire in this matter.  And please, PLEASE, save your child – answer my prayer – show me the power of your saving hand!

And here is the crux of the matter.  “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.”  I believe God will answer this prayer.  I believe He will do all that He says He will do.  But only if I am trusting Him to do it.  I want to solve my problem. I want to get out of pain – and stop others from being in pain.  I want to end the calamity.  But  God has brought this my way for His glory and for good (both His and mine!).  Do I trust Him?

Like the father who was dealing with a demon-possessed son, I cry out, “I believe (I trust in you); help my unbelief!”  Father hear my prayer – well, hear Your prayer on my behalf – and deliver me from this difficulty I am experiencing.  But please, don’t take the shortcut I desire.  Don’t allow me to miss the greater benefit of trusting you and watching you develop and deepen my faith in you.  Thank you for your faithful answer.

More walking to do – more lessons to learn…

No comments:

Post a Comment