Monday, July 31, 2017

Walking - Day 11



Psalm 96

Oh sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth! Sing to the LORD, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!
For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.



I had plenty of time to walk today – really, nothing to do but wait on a possible meeting with Sam and eventually driving to Portsmouth to pick up Harrison and head for home.  So, I pulled out my camera and found a nice park in Concord, NH to walk in.  The park wasn’t much, but it was a nice walkway along the edge of the river, so I began my walk. 

Almost instantly I was joined by my little friend.  He was sitting not far from me, not really interested in me until I got a little closer.  Then, we had a stare down.  I waited for him to move – he waited for me to move.  Minutes passed, and the standoff continued.  Eventually, because I am really not good and standing still or not moving, he won, and he took off for the woods as I attempted to move closer.  I got some great pictures of him (and some of his buddies), but he got away.

Psalm 96 says, “For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.”  As I sat there looking at this cute little creature (cute in nature – not so cute digging holes around my house – just saying), I was reminded that he was created by a very amazing God who cares about him and cares for him.  God meets his needs, gives him food, gives him shelter from the weather, and gave him instincts to protect him from big scary people like me.

My God is not a worthless God – even with issues that I am not aware of in my life – He is at work.  He knows my prayers before I pray them.  He knows my needs before I am even aware that they are needs.  He takes care of me, and He cares for me.

I still call out to Him in desperation – because it is something I can do that the animals cannot.  I have the ability to attempt to meet my own needs, proclaim my own glory, and pursue my own interests.  Animals, nature of every kind, does not have a will – they are just part of the “splendor and majesty, strength and beauty” that Psalm 96 talks about.

I want to bring glory to my Father – I am just not good at it.  I need Him to help me to depend on Him, pursue His will, and proclaim His glory to the world.  Father – help me as I seek to do this with my whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment