Sunday, July 23, 2017

Walking - Day 3



Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. Let me dwell in your tent forever! Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!


I woke up at 6:00 this morning and was thinking about seeing the sunrise at 6:45.  Since I had a 30 minute walk ahead of me, I figured I would wait until 6:30 to go.  I closed my eyes and 1 minute later (it seemed) it was 6:28.  I got out of bed and headed for the door.

Because it is summer here in Chattanooga, opening the door to go outside (even at 6:30 in the morning), a burst of warm air met me.  It was a welcomed feeling as I started my walk. 

The sky was lit, but most of the stuff around me were shades of black and grey.  There wasn’t a lot of color – save the light blue of the sky.  Some of the leaves on the trees and the flowers could be seen, but the colors were dull at best.

As the sun began to rise higher, the color schemes around me began to multiply dynamically.  The blue of the sky became even more intense, the flowers that could be seen from the road became brilliant in color.  The houses, the cars, the grass, the trees… Color was filling up all around me – and what a beautiful sight it is.

As I walked and listened to the Psalms, chapter 61 came up.  It began with a prayer, “Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint.”  I stopped to hear it again, and then began singing in my heart the song that I know that is associated with these words.  This is where I am.  My heart is faint, and I need God to hear my cry and listen to my prayer.

As I thought about the next line, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I”, I thought about the fact that my neighborhood is in a valley.  Yes, the increase of the sunlight brought more color to the valley – but what would the difference have been if I was standing on the mountain?  To see the sun come up over the horizon and watch black become billions of colors – in just an instant.

This is my prayer that God would bring me to the rock in my life so I might be able to see past the darkness and watch as His presence brings brilliant colors to life in my heart.  I see the darkness all around me, and my heart is weighed down by the emptiness of color – but I trust my God to bring life into the death – to bring reconciliation where there is broken relationships – to bring my will in line with His will.  And I trust that His will is good.

I never know what today holds, but I know Who holds today.  I look forward to what I will learn tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment