Monday, February 27, 2012

Is your mirror straight?

About 2 weeks ago, apparently someone ran into my rear view mirror on my car.  The did not break it off, but they did dislodge it. The mirror still works.  If you look into it, you can see what is behind you.  No harm right?

Actually, the way I found out that there was a problem was when I was trying to back into a parking spot at work.  I knew there was a car behind me, but the mirror said there wasn't.  I looked again, and surely there was a car, but as I gazed into the mirror again, no car was present.  I figured it had just needed to be adjusted, but then I realized it was a much larger problem.

Last Saturday I headed off for Guatemala and my wonderful wife decided to take my car to Kendra's game.  I had not mentioned the mirror issue, and, yeah, you guessed it, she backed right into someone else.  She was looking in the mirror, and it told her that her course was clear, but it lead her astray, and now my car is in dire need of cosmetic repair.

I blog about this today because the thought keeps coming to me and we are studying the book of James in church.  The Bible is my mirror, and I know that it is straight and true.  What it says I can believe, I can follow, I can pursue, because I know it will lead me in the way that is best and right. 

However, over the course of my life, there have been other "mirrors" that I have observed.  Some are good most of the time, some are good a little of the time, and some are just plain wrong.  The court of public opinion - not a good mirror.  My own logic - not a good mirror.  The intelligence of others - not a good mirror.  The media, friends and family, my feelings...  all very faulty mirrors.

The questions I have today are, "What mirror am I gauging my life by?"  "Is it straight?"  "Is it true?"  The only mirror worth looking into and reflecting on for a long time is the Word of God.  Gazing into God's Word daily will keep our paths straight, our focus clear, our aim true, and will ultimately steer us clear of danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment