Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 5 - Riverside Christian Guatemala Trip

Wednesday began.  It is the middle of the week, the middle of the trip.  The day began with devotions (the beginning of Romans 2) and we had a wonderful discussion about the dangers of judging others.  The conversation was wonderful and the team seemed very excited about implementing some of the behaviors that keep us from putting ourselves in the place of God (judging them) in the lives of others. 

After breakfast we headed to Las Vistas and got back to work on the wall.  The footer was done.  Block laying needed to begin.  The team also taught their lesson to the 4th grade class in the morning while Angelo was talking with the teen group in the church.  I spent some of the morning taking pictures of the team, of the children, etc.  We didn’t get a lot done on the project, but Marco, Cocoa (Abel), Pooch (Juan) and Pollo (Ronald) did a great job getting the first line of block done.  The team did help put the block in place before they began, but because they were busy with other things, the AMG workers began the work.

Anyway, by lunch we had all of the 3rd row done, and were ready for row 4 (the last row).  We broke for lunch, ate a delicious meal – cooked by a local woman – and got back to work after lunch.  Some of the team taught the story of Noah to the 2nd and 3rd grades while the others helped prepare the 4th row for finishing. 
Eventually we had completed the wall – with the exception of the “special” top that will be applied tomorrow.  Tomorrow we will be getting the second wall started but I doubt we will get very far.  We have 2 more classes to teach, we are doing home visits, and I will be working on pictures for a presentation on Friday.  Tomorrow will be very busy, but I think the team is doing well.

We left Las Vistas a little early so we could stop by Paiz (owned by Wal-mart) so we could purchase baskets for 10 families in the Las Vistas area.  We will be visiting homes, and we hope to distribute some of the food and supplies to them.  I think this will be an eye opener for the team.  I am excited to see what God does as they see where these beautiful children live.

On a personal note, it is obvious my wife is “missing” me.  Yeah, I know, why would she miss me??  Anyway, I spoke with her 2 times today, and I do wish she were here.  Tomorrow won’t be so bad, but Friday will be more difficult because she will be home alone.  I pray that God would wrap His arms around her and show her in a special way that He loves her and will care for her well. 

It’s 10:10 and I am ready to wrap it up for the day – I haven’t gone to bed before 11:30 yet, and with roosters waking me up around 4, I am running out of steam.  Not really too tired during the day, but when we stop for too long, I begin to get tired.  This group loves to sit around and talk – they love each other well, they are open and honest, but for a guy who can’t sit still very long, sometimes it is difficult.  More sleep might help with that.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day – I am praying that God would continue to do His work in and through us.

No comments:

Post a Comment