Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 4 - Riverside Christian Guatemala Trip

The day began like most missions trip days – breakfast and devotions.  But devotions this morning (working through Romans 1) did not go like normal.  Instead, one of the team members was really struggling with some difficult things in life, and what a joy it was to see God move and encourage them through the rest of the team.  We started the session looking at the greatness of our God, and for 20 minutes the team talked about plants, animals, the human body, the stars, the mountains, etc.  Basically together we were worshiping the greatness of our God.  Then as we looked at the progression of man into the spiral of sin, one team member began wrestling with the ways they have seen this played out in their family.  What a joy it is to see them open up and the rest of the team reach out to them and love them by telling them truth and encouraging them in their faith.

Eventually we finished and headed off to Verbana to hear from Brian and see the greater vision of AMG Guatemala.  I am impressed every time I hear Brian share, and every time I interact with the staff here.  God is at work, and it is evident.

By lunch time we were back at Las Vistas and we fed the kids lunch.  As always, I have to make things complicated by playing with the food as I dish it out to the kids. “Do you want it on your plate?  In your cup?  On your head?  In your lap?”  I would ask them in Spanish.  Of course they wanted it on their plate, but it was much more fun to act like I was going to put it on their heads.  Then, as others were dishing out food, I accidentally found a funny thing to do, so I did it – yeah, I know, I goof off way too much.  Anyway, I would hold up one finger and the kids would say “uno”.  Then two fingers and they would say “dos”.  Then I would go to three, and four, and the kids would begin the counting pattern.  Then I would go backwards or switch to a number out of order.  For instance, I would hold up one, then two, then three, then two, and all of the kids would say “Quattro” and I would look at them like they lost their minds.  “Quattro?” I would ask – then I would look at my two fingers and just shake my head.  We had fun – it was hilarious to watch the kids.

After lunch the team taught the story of Noah to the 5th and 6th grades, and then Angelo spoke to the older teens.  It was thrilling for the team to share the stories and sing the songs.  The kids responded really well also.  We also did puzzles with the kids, played with the kids, some of us worked on the concrete for the footer (which was finished today - tomorrow we start building the first wall).  They are doing an excellent job of loving the kids and getting the work done.

On the way home, Phil stopped at POPS – the ice cream shop.  The team loved it – ice cream cones for everyone (except Yolanda and I – we got a Black Cow {a coke float}).  The team really enjoyed that.  I told them they are being spoiled – next time they will have to sleep on the ground and eat only bread and water.

Dinner was spaghetti and meat sauce.  But more importantly, dinner (and after dinner) was a great time of laughing and sharing stories.  These guys have no shortage of stories – and you know I don’t either.  We laughed and enjoyed the fellowship with each other.  For almost 3 hours we just sat and talked.  Everyone had something to add – it really was very enjoyable.

Well, tomorrow is more of the same – working on the wall, playing with the kids, learning more about the rest of the team, and encouraging one another in the faith.  I thank God for the privilege of serving in this capacity.  I don’t always understand why I was chosen, I often miss my family back home, but it never ceases to amaze me that God has allowed me to be used for His glory in this capacity. 

Praise be to God for taking a broken, useless, failure of a man and choosing to bless me by using me for His glory.  I am constantly amazed that God has given me such a great family – when I failed them so greatly, and that He has given me an opportunity again to serve Him – when I failed in that arena as well.   

God is good – all the time, and all the time – GOD IS GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment