Monday, February 20, 2012

Day 1 and 2 - Riverside Christian Guatemala Trip


The day began at Groome Transportation when the driver left the lot with the back door wide open – and my luggage almost falling out.  I was concerned that the “curse of the Guatemala trip” was back in full effect!  I alerted him and he quickly stopped and remedied the situation. 

Uneventful travel to Atlanta, eventually I boarded my first plane of the day to Dallas.  Wouldn’t you know, I had 2 seats to myself.  This is going to be a great trip!

I met the team in Dallas, and shortly after we were on our way to Guatemala City.  I was sitting next to Angelo and Yolanda – a new York couple that now live in New England.  They speak fluent Spanish (Angelo actually lived in Puerto Rico for most of his formative years and then they both lived in Spanish Harlem).  They are a neat couple who love God and are looking to see what is next for them.

We went from the airport to McDonalds and then on to Thelma’s house.  Jose (her son) and his family had moved out, and we were to lodge in their house for the next few days.  11 people, 3 toilets, 1 shower… this is going to be interesting.

We met together as a team, prayed together, and then headed off for bed – about 11:30 in the evening.
Sunday Morning (Feb 19) I woke and shortly after was skyped by Kendra.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her – her 18th birthday!!  In just  a few short weeks we will have to jump out of a plane – she has always said she is looking forward to it…

Anyway, we went to the church at the large mega church building and worshipped with about 6,000 of our Guatemalan brothers and sisters.  It was a wonderful service, and we witnessed many going forward to get saved at the end of the service.  Praise the Lord.  It is wonderful seeing the things that God is doing here in Guatemala.

The afternoon was filled with the normal trip to Antigua.  We stopped for lunch in the park in downtown Antigua, and I ran into Lillian and Darcy – two young ladies that have approached me about buying things on multiple visits here in Guatemala.  Again I did not purchase anything, but I reminded them of the last time I was here and I gave them my lunch and some candy.  I told them that the next time I came I would have to purchase something.  Darcy said, “Why don’t you purchase something this time?”  I told her my wife said she didn’t need anything, and I really didn’t have any money.  She said, “There is an ATM right over there” As she pointed off to my right.  They are hilarious – great salesladies.  I want to bring them something next time with the gospel in it.

From there we went to the market, and I pulled out my laser and had fun with the kids.  In a short time, I had a group of little kids running around trying to step on the green light.  It was hilarious.  After a long while, one man asked me to come over to him (Obdulio was his name, and his son’s name was Daniel).  He said that his son would love a laser like that, and wanted to know if I wanted to trade.  I gave him the laser – I pray that next time I return, it will give me another opportunity to talk with him.  It would be neat to see a laser bring a man and his son to Christ.

We headed on back to Thelma’s to get ready for church.  We went to the missionary church (in English this time) and joined the praise and worship, and then listened to a video of Andy Stanley talking about loving our spouses.  I pray that I would do it as Christ did (Phil 2:3-8), but I know I have a way to go.

After church we went to Pizza Hut and had dinner with many of the other church people.  I was able to talk to Betsy Wilson’s friend, Caleb, about dating, marriage, love, etc.  It was fun – I hope he enjoyed it as well. 

The day ended with the team rehashing what they saw and heard.  For the most part they are still in the Romantic Stage, but I am certain that will change as we visit the centers tomorrow.  We will be digging the ditches getting ready to build a retaining wall for Las Vistas.  The work begins tomorrow – time to rest now.

No comments:

Post a Comment