Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More Lessons from Peru

So I have a problem staying on the path...Yeah, I know, no surprise to you. I was warned by a friend before taking this job - the job description said "able to follow directions, does not blaze your own trail". He told me that I would have a problem with that.

Anyway, as we walked across the Andes Mountains, we followed many paths, climbed various rock formations, walked through muddy terrain, even trudged through some green goop - not exactly sure what it was, but I jumped from rock to rock to avoid having to stand in it. As this group of 14 individuals trekked through the mountains, we were constantly reminded to stay on the path. We might have been walking on other people's property, or through an area that would not be safe to walk through, so we each reminded the other to stay true to the path.

However... (you knew it was coming) we ran across this little stream, and I needed to know how cold the water was - it was run off from the snow on the mountain. Sure enough, I stepped on the first rock, it wiggled. So I moved to the next rock, and it turned completely over - yes, I was instantly soaked (my foot that is, I am not dumb enough to fall completely in the water). The water was cold, I mean COLD!! Felt good though, because we had been hiking for a couple of hours and it was about 70 degrees outside. It made for an interesting afternoon hike as my soggy shoe and I finished the hike for the day.

All of this to say, lesson learned - stay on the path and life will be easier (and drier). Stray from the path, and you never know what you might be stepping in.

Simple life lesson... you know I'll be learning this one again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment