Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Early Lessons... from Young People

Joshiama, Hosea, Kenji, Joel, David, and Oliver (imaged in this photo from left to right) were my buddies my first day, evening and next morning. We were not camped long before Joel (yellow shirt) made his way over to me, and before long we were tossing a tennis ball around. You can see Hosea looking like he is blowing something - I just gave them all peices of red licorice, and taught them to bite off both sides and blow air through it. (Minutes later I was swarmed by this group of boys blowing in my face through licorice straws). We played soccer, wiffleball, throwing a tennis ball, tag - even freeze tag (you should have seen me trying to teach them that one - since all I could do is mime the rules of playing). It is amazing what you can learn from a bunch of kids...

1. Communication does not always require speaking, but sometimes speaking helps. Facial expressions, body language, sounds, motions, etc. was basically the way we communicated. They spoke Quetchuan, I spoke English, and we all knew just enough spanish to be dangerous - but not enough to talk. However, they did teach me some basic words... Darchi (sit), Sharchi (stand), Alceesh (old), Gordo (fat), Consado (tired)... (I guess you can imagine why I learned those last three words - yes, I am getting to be an old, tired, fat guy). It was amazing what a few words did. We could communicate by talking - it was fun. God gave me his word, and I need to value it as much so that I can worship not only by emotion, music, or expression, but also by talking in the language of the Father. I am confident that will be much more "fun".

2. Selfishness is ingrained in the heart of a child. Of course we know that the scripture says this, but it is amazing when you go to another culture. The kids have very little, and are not taught by the television that there is so much more out there and they need to have it. Yet when the toys and "caramello" (candy) come out, they are concerned about 1 person. Themselves! It just reminded me that the truths of the Bible apply to all people - we are selfish by nature. Which leads me to the final thought for today...

3. Our pressing to get what we want may deter God from giving. I had a bunch of candy... a bunch of candy. We as a group had hundreds of pounds of toys. We had every desire to give the kids more than they could have wanted... yet we found ourselves withholding because they were not satisfied with what they had received - AND - were constantly asking for more. It made me think of the graciousness of our God, and the multitude of blessings He would love to bestow on us. However, our lack of thankfulness, our pursuit of more from Him might cause Him to withold the blessings he desires to shower us with.

Just a thought for the day... young people from another culture becoming my theological instructors... Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment