Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"The grass is always greener...

I know you have heard this expression - it finishes normally with... "on the other side of the fence."

I like to say, "but you still have to mow it!" And with the fact that I really do not enjoy mowing my grass, the disdain in my voice emphasizes this fact.

The other day I heard a different response though, and I thought I would jot down a few notes about it. The statement started, "The grass is always greener..." but was finished with, "on the side that you water and fertilize the most." (I added the italicized words).

What a powerful and true statement. It is amazing to watch as people (including myself) look across the proverbial fence, see green grass, and then proceed to "take care" of that grass - to the demise of the grass you are standing on. The same amount of work and effort are needed on either side of the fence to keep the grass green and healthy, but for some reason, people work harder at the grass that is not theirs. Why do you suppose that is?

1. I think often the reward does not seem as profitable. "This relationship I am in now is dying, and there is just too much baggage. If I start working on a new one, it will produce what I want." Back to the facts, it may take more work in the beginning to "revive" the current relationship, but ultimately the work will be more satisfying, because it has a more "solid" foundation - the root structure is already in tact. It may be flawed, but it is there.

2. I think the work does not seem to be equal. If I am looking at a relationship that I am just beginning, especially when hormones are involved, "loving" the other person is so much easy. The problem is, real love is work. New relationships are filled with wonder, speculation, false assumptions... Real relationships are based on truth, knowledge, sacrifice... Which one seems like more work? However, ultimately new relationships become old relationships, and if they are to become "real" the work will need to be done!

Why do you think people chase the grass that looks greener?

No comments:

Post a Comment