Monday, July 6, 2009

How far removed is humilty from arrogance?

A frisbee. That's all, a frisbee. What to most American kids is a toy that they are familiar with from youth the kids in Peru responded to as if it were a strange item. We pulled out two frisbees and started throwing them around. The kids would send them back, most of the time rolling on the ground. However, inevitably one of the kids would understand how it worked, and would be able to pass the frisbee with some semblance of accuracy.

It is at this point that I learn the distance between humility and pride... you see, I was able to watch as fairly "humble" kids became "skilled" in the throwing of a disc, and amazingly they were transformed into "proud" experts as they mocked the others, or laughed at others that could not pick up the skill quite so readily.

Enter the Spirit of God... As I pondered this "advancement" in the lives of these kids, I realized that the road from humility of service to arrogance of heart isn't much of a road at all. As a matter of fact, one could argue that they are neighbors sharing a similar front door.

I started out caring for kids, playing with kids, wishing I could share more with them verbally, and after a few accolades from my colleagues, I can easily become more interested in my influence on the kids, the "great" ability I have to work with kids, the talent that I have in relating to children... The origin of the activity very much the same, but the heart of humility is easily swayed to arrogance and pride.

How about you? Have you noticed your tendency to seek the glory that belongs to God - even when you are ministering to others on His behalf? I'd appreciate your prayers on this one, it is definitely a struggle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment