Thursday, August 9, 2012

New England Bible Church - Guatemala Trip - Day 1


My day actually began yesterday when I left Chattanooga on the shuttle to Nashville around noon.  My flight was supposed to be at 5:05 PM, but we didn’t take off until after 6.  Eventually I arrived in Miami and headed to the hotel for a few hours rest. 

Saturday morning began bright and early as I took the 6:00 shuttle to the airport to meet the team for our 9:50 flight.  Everything went extremely smoothly, so I was sitting at the gate shortly before 7:30 – way too early!  Needless to say, if I had taken the 7:00 shuttle, things would  have been backed up and I would have arrived at the gate 10 minutes late.  Too early is always better than too late.

The team arrived at the gate around 9:00 am.  We all introduced ourselves – Isaac seemed a little out of it, I didn’t know if this was normal, but no one else seemed to think so.  They had been up all night, so I wasn’t too concerned.  We waited around for our flight and eventually we left for Guatemala.

We arrived in Guatemala on time – 10:25 in the morning.  We went through customs and immigration smoothly and were on our way to Verbana (the main campus) shortly thereafter.

Today was a day of waiting – we waited at Verbana (as we toured the campus), we waited at the hotel (Los Esclavos – the slaves) for our rooms to be finished, and then we waited for dinner. I think God is trying to teach us something very early in this trip – we need to wait on Him.

The hotel here does not have wifi, so I don’t have any way to skype home.  This is going to be a very interesting week.  Dee needs our prayers as Kendra is getting prepared to leave for college on Friday.

Anyway, the team met after dinner to talk about how they saw God today, and they mentioned the lightning (it has been storming most of the evening) the landscapes, the people, and the way the body of Christ is working together to minister to Guatemala (as we saw other teams on the plane with us).  I look forward to more intimate, more specific ways they see God work in their lives as the week progresses.

Tomorrow is church, a visit to Oratorio, and the team is going to see Reparando (a movie about the history of Guatemala and a ministry to the people of Guatemala).  This will be eye opening as they visit an indigenous church and see the history explained.  I am praying that God gives them a burden for the people of Guatemala.

Well, enough for now – I didn’t sleep very well last night – hopefully tonight I will get more rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment