Thursday, August 9, 2012

New England Bible Church - Guatemala Trip - Day 4


Today began very early as I awoke at 1:30 in the morning feeling nauseous.  I kept thinking that if I got up I would get sick, so I would just lie still until morning.  The night was long!  When morning finally broke, I did experience some of the difficulties other team members have had in the past, and I learned a lesson in compassion.  Twenty trips already, and I have never been sick to the degree that I was limited in my efforts – praise the Lord, but today was a little different.  I was fighting just to stay up most of the morning as we walked through devotions and then headed off for the work.  When we finally arrived, I had to sit down and eventually ended up lying down just hoping to get better.

This was not to be this morning – I was “destined” to be sick, and God was going to get the glory.  Sure enough, the rest of the team pulled together and did the work that was necessary – they didn’t even need me.  It was exciting to watch the work getting done, but it was a lesson in humility as I really desired to be part of what they were doing, but physically was not able to do much.
Instead, while the men worked on the wall in the kitchen and the women worked on painting the bathrooms, I ended up playing my guitar for the children.  They loved singing with the music – I even attempted some Spanish songs.  They really did well.

I rested again while the team ate lunch, and after lunch we did a few home visits.  These visits were a little different as the homes were nice (on Guatemalan standards), but those that went on the home visits were genuinely impacted by their lack of “stuff” and joy in their spirit regardless.  It is always amazing to see people who live with very little who share their joy with us as we talk with them.  We visited Maria’s and Wilmer’s homes – Maria’s parents farm the coffee fields they live in so they can live there for free, Wilmer’s parents sell bread right next to the church.  We even purchased some – it smelled so good!

After the home visits, we got back to work (or should I say they got back to work) as I took my place flat on my back again.  Actually, at one point, the kids came over and were kicking me (lightly) to see if I would wake up and play them more songs.  I asked God to give me strength, because I was really hurting.  I should have prayed that the kids would go away J.  Seriously, God gave me the energy to sing and play with the kids, and even do it with a smile on my face.  It was hard, but in His strength, it was extremely joyous.
In the afternoon, the kids sang “Feliz Cumpleanos” (Happy Birthday) to Andrew.  Today is his 17th birthday.  And at dinner the ladies that serve us dinner sang to him as well.  Then they told him to “bite into” the cake they brought out to him, and when he started to, they pushed his face into the cake.  It was hilarious, and he responded by laughing.

After dinner we met to sing and share the lessons we learned for the day.  The younger people are still a little hesitant, but I know they are having a wonderful time and are learning much.  As we closed our time, we prayed together – a few people prayed sentence prayers and then Tyler closed us.  It was a great day.

As the meeting ended, we planned to head to our rooms, but the weather was so nice that the adults sat by the pool and talked.  I really enjoy this team, and I pray that God blesses them for the work they are doing.   
I pray that their church catches the vision for the people of Guatemala that Tyler has obviously caught and is seeking to grow in his congregation.
 
Well, I am tired and after last night I pray I can get some sleep.  Tomorrow is more of the same work – we have much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment