Tuesday, August 14, 2012

New England Bible Church - Guatemala Trip - Day 7 and 8


As typically happens, the rest of the story is often left to the imagination as we wrap up our week and head for home.  I often miss jotting down thoughts for the last few days, so I want to make sure I highlight the final events of the trip.

Friday morning we awoke without much urgency and relaxed, ate breakfast, sang songs and did our devotional.  Eventually the Wilson clan showed up and we finished our time in the word and made our way to Antigua.  We went a different way than I have ever gone because we were stopping to see the Stricklands, and we met them at the cross on the side of the hill by Antigua.  The view was amazing as we surveyed the Antigua valley and took pictures at the foot of the cross.  It was an amazing experience.

From there we went to the coffee plantation.  We toured a music museum and the coffee plant.  Both were interesting, although I am not a big fan of tours.  Most of what they told us on the music side was written out so we could have spent more time just looking, but the coffee part was rather interesting.  I found myself taking pictures of flowers for most of the time – as if that is something new – I got some great pictures.

After the tour we headed off to the market.  The team shopped for a couple of hours and I actually bought a hammock chair for my wife.  She had mentioned it two weeks ago so I wanted to surprise her – only to find out she had texted me that morning to remind me.  After the joyous shopping experience (sense the sarcasm), we headed off to McDonalds for ice cream and then off to the center square. 

At the square we saw a street performer who pulled one of our kids into the act.  Interestingly enough, I had just started filming before he pulled him in – How convenient.  They were hilarious together – the performer is very animated and fun to watch.  Anyway, the team really enjoyed it.

After the square we headed off for dinner.  Brian and his wife, Phil and a few from his family and the Stricklands joined us – we had a wonderful time.  We had steak, chicken or fajitas.  The food was delicious.

Eventually we returned to Thelma’s and had our usual end of week encouragement/blessing time.  I LOVE this part of the week – it is wonderful hearing the body build itself up in love.  To hear people that have plenty of reason to complain about each other choose instead to speak the truth of love to others and build their faith in Christ is awesome.  This group was no different – they did an excellent job lifting each other up.  We went until about 11, and then had to finish our time together in the airport the next day.  God is doing great things with these people and I am excited to hear about what He does with them as they return home.

Saturday morning we woke up, headed to the airport and headed home.  Lee got bumped to first class (he took Hannah’s ticket – she didn’t want to sit alone).  He was offered steak and chicken and he chose a salad instead – next time Tyler sits in first class – I am confident he would take advantage of the good food.  As a matter of fact, he flew first class from Miami to Boston – I wonder what he ate??

Eventually I arrived back at the airport in Nashville and spent the night with my wife at Days Inn in Nashville.  Although she was asleep when I arrived (got up to open the door, but went back to sleep), it was great to see her.

Another trip met expectations and even surpassed them.  God is faithful.  God is good.  It is all for His glory.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment