Friday, August 24, 2012

Which would you prefer?

It's your special day.  Might be a birthday, an anniversary, a retirement party, a graduation, whatever.  Everyone you care about has gathered together for the event.  You are going to be receiving many gifts. You are going to be honored.  The day is all about you.

Then it dawns on you, these people you "care about" don't spend any time with you the rest of the year.  They don't pay attention to anything about you. They don't call.  They don't write.  They don't visit.  And you start to wonder why they are making such a big deal about this event.

As you begin to open the gifts you are even more confused.  The gifts they are offering are nice, some are even very expensive.  However, they don't fit you.  I mean, the colors are not your colors, the items are not items that you would use, the gifts do not fit your personality, your passions, or even your patterns. As you open the gifts the givers talk about how much they spent, or how rare the gift is, or how lucky you are to receive that gift. You are not impressed, but they all seem to be.

You thank everyone for the gifts.  People stay, talk, eat cake and ice cream, and eventually leave.  It is then you sit and wonder what this day was even all about. Was this really about me?  Or did my friends just find a way to make themselves feel better for "honoring" me?

Another "ordinary day" rolls around.  You don't expect a party, you don't expect gifts, you don't even think that anyone else will think about you.  This is really just an ordinary day.

However, you are again surrounded by friends, real friends.  They are talking with you about things that matter to you.  They spend time hearing about the things that are important to you.  They respond by doing the things you want done, the things you need done.  They give of their time, their energy, their "wealth", to meet the needs that you have.  Day after day they listen and respond.  They interact with you regularly.  They want to know how you are feeling, what you are thinking, how they can help you. Interestingly enough, you find yourself being all about them as well.

Two options - one gets you lots of gifts on "special" days, the other gives you the sense of being "honored" every day. Which sounds more appealing to you?

Many of us treat God much like the first group of people.  We meet with Him on His "special" day and give Him gifts - our work, our service, our money, our "worship", our singing...  And I wonder if God is asking, "Where are you the rest of the time?".  And I wonder if He doesn't look at our gifts and say, "What is this?  I didn't ask for this?  I don't even want this."

If the second scenario is more appealing to us, how much more do you think it appeals to a holy, loving, gracious and merciful God?  Don't you think He deserves more than our occasional gift that we boast about in our own spirit?

I do.

God help me give you all of me - even the worst of me - daily, that I might be reminded that You are a wonderful God.  Help me daily pursue you that I might know you more, so that my gifts of praise and worship would reflect Your very character, that You might be glorified in me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Ken. I desire to live a life that honors Him daily. And, yet, it seems all too easy to slip into "pharisee" mode, doesn't it? I long to stand before Him someday to hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant" rather than, "Depart I never knew you." Oh, to abide with Him...really abide!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete