Sunday, May 30, 2010

Guatemala Trip - EXTENDED - Day 8

Day 8: Well, as is to be expected after 3 earth quakes and 2 eruptions from Mt Pacaya, along with a tropical storm, a hurricane, cyclones, and incredible flooding, we will not be flying out today. Instead, Walter and Jim will be flying out of San Salvador tomorrow, and we will all be traveling there together in the morning. (4:30 in the morning to be exact)

But we can talk about tomorrow then, for now, let's recap the day...

The day started off a little later with breakfast at 8:30. We then had a worship time as we sang songs and encouraged one another. Then we dove into the passage where Christ talks about marriage and divorce, and we had a good discussion about the purpose and meaning of marriage. I was asked to give my testimony, and since it fit rather appropriately to the topic, I had the privilege of sharing my story of God's grace in my life. It was neither easy or devoid of pain, but I think it was helpful for the team. I pray that God uses my story to keep others from falling.

It did allow me to talk about the wonderful grace of God, but also the power of a forgiving and loving wife. I was able to share about the wonderful help meet that God has blessed me with, and be reminded of how wonderful my wife is. I thank God for such a godly woman, who I miss dearly, but who stood by me in spite of my failures and faults. I truly have an amazing gift from God in my wife - she is more that I deserve, and much much more than I could have ever imagined.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. We went and hung out at the Dennett's home, played games, watched shows, transferred pictures over on the computer, etc. Just a great time of relaxing. God did give me a chance to do a few special things...

1 - Share with the team a little of the trip to Uganda last year
2 - Spend some time encouraging the ladies to make wise choices regarding dating
3 - Get most of my clothes laundered because there was a puddle in our room and almost all of my clothes were soaked.

Thelma's home is full of water - there are standing puddles everywhere. I wish we could stay and help, but it seems God has other plans for us.

I look forward to traveling tomorrow, but am even more excited about an official ending to the trip on Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, the trip has been incredibly wonderful, but I have another ministry at home that I enjoy as well, and I miss the smiles of my children and the hugs of my loving wife. Only a few more days...

No comments:

Post a Comment