Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Guatemala Trip - Day 1

Day 1: Began the day in Chattanooga at 4:00 in the morning. After getting ready to go, Dee and Brooke drove with me to Groome Transportation. Due to a misunderstanding, my name was not on the roster – but Kenneth Evans was. Yeah, the guy couldn't figure out that it was a typo – you know Ivins is so far from Evans. Anyway, we left for Atlanta – via Dalton – a stop where we picked up 3 men. When they got in they informed us that they were on a missions trip to Belize, and had been working there for years. The man in the seat in front of me fielded questions from one of the passengers, and his friend in the front seat overheard. He asked the passenger if he was going on a “missionary” trip, to which the man responded and said he was just going to Maine to visit family. The man in front of me responded, “well, you can be on a missions trip from here to Atlanta. Talk to the folks, Gene!” His friend in the front seat began talking to the people right behind him – for about 10-15 minutes (keep in mind it is 5:20 in the morning). I really couldn't hear what they were saying, but I don't think the response was very positive.

I arrived at Atlanta without a glitch – right about 7:00 in the morning. Flight was at 10:10, so there was plenty of time. When I went to check my bags, they weighed in at 57 and 52 lbs. The man just ignored the scale, then turned to me and said, “Are you active military?”, when I said no, he looked at me like he should have charged me for the bags. Instead, he just said, “You know, on your way back they will charge you for the extra weight (it should have been $100).” I told him that most of the items would not be coming back. I know people were praying, because this should not have happened.

Finally it was time to board the plane, and I ended up boarding 5 minutes late – no big deal, but then the plane taxied on the runway for an additional 15 minutes. I only had 55 minutes between flights, I had to meet the team and board the next plane, and these delays were cutting into my time. I was able to talk to another passenger about the fact that God had it all worked out, and that things would work out – no stress here... By the way, the plan had about 40 seats, I had to check my guitar, we had to disembark on the tarmac and take a bus to the terminal. My guitar was the last checked bag taken off the plane... I think God was testing me a little – just a little... All that being said, I met the team at the airport terminal E-4.

The team arrived in Guatemala, went through customs without a hitch – both parts (before getting bags and after – they didn't even scan our bags). We met Brian and Bob outside and headed to Thelma's. After a brief orientation with Brian and Bob, the team hit the pool for a brief swim. A game of “hit the guy in the head with the ball” broke out – I didn't get all the way in the water, it was still much too cold.

At dinner (6:00), the team sat around and talked about their first impressions of Guatemala. This team is very intelligent and interactive – I am really looking forward to tomorrow's lesson in the morning. Well, after a game of Rage – yes, I did teach them and Josh Bell was our first winner, we are heading to bed. I am writing this at 11:30 Chattanooga time – which is 9:30 local time. Off to bed with me, it has been a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment