Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Guatemala Trip - Day 2

Day 2: Began the day early in the morning – about 4:00 local time. Couldn't sleep, but I laid in bed until about 5. Pete woke up and went to take a shower, but the water ran out while he had soap all over him. He came back to the room all soapy, and asked about the water. I turned it on, and he finished his shower. Breakfast was ham and eggs with french toast. After breakfast we got ready for church then started our Bible Study lessons in Matthew. Conversation was good, but I need to include the teens more, especially Ethan, Becka and Kristin. I would like to hear more from Walter as well – I am very impressed with him. Brian showed up shortly after 8, and did an orientation for the team, and exchanged their money. Then we headed off to church. We arrived after the service had already started, but found our way to the front right of the sanctuary. Josh was sitting next to me, and he said he thought the music was very beautiful. The Spanish singing was different, but as they sang some familiar songs, we were able to join in worship. Then pastor Dan Anderson spoke. He talked about not throwing our valuables before the swines. The title of his message was “ the indescribable value of the truth”. As he spoke, he referenced over 22 verses, so I spent much of the service reading the verses he was talking about.
After church we headed back to Thelma's to change for our trip to Antigua. We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping in Antigua. When we arrived there, we went to the park and ate our lunch. I pulled out candy to give to kids – bad idea – instantly I was swamped. I had to say, “no more” to a lot of kids.
Brian had his shoes shined by 2 kids with 2 other kids looking on. I gave them candy too. We spent a little time at the part watching a mime (same one we saw last time) perform. He was rather good, and very entertaining. He drew a large crowd. After that we headed to the market and the kids were spending like crazy. The most popular item... knives and machetes. Yeah, I know, a missions trip where kids purchase weapons. Brian said he felt like an arms dealer.
Finally we went to dinner at a restaurant at a hotel and museum (same one as last time). We were able to walk through the museum, see the ruins, the artwork, the bones of dead people who are long gone... it was very interesting. Dinner was a buffet with a variety of Guatemalan delicacies. The kids and adults seemed to have a great time.
When we returned home, we played a game of Rage while the men sat and talked. I was able to join them (after a brief swim in the freezingly cold pool) and thoroughly enjoyed talking with them.
This is a great team, and I am looking forward to beginning the work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment