Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Bundles of Love - Guatemala - Day 4


Day 2 of handing out bundles, and we are going to Alameda and La Florida.  So far we have seen a group of 850 kids, and a group of 250.  Today we have 210 and 160 kids respectively at the centers we are going to.  It is a lot of work for a small group of 6 team members, plus the Wilson group and Amber (our honorary team member).  But the team is ready to go!

We had breakfast, walked through our devotions (we studied the gift brought to Joseph by his brothers when they were wanting food and desired the return of Simeon), and we were on our way by 8:00 AM.

As we pulled up to Alameda, I remembered the last time I was here in 2009 with my son and wife.  It was my first bundles trip and my first time to Guatemala.  Now, it is my 15th time to Guatemala, but only my second time to this center.  The kids put on quite a show as they sang, danced, and reminded us of the glorious Christmas story.  The pictures and video we took is precious.  We had the opportunity to share with them as well, and I told them of one of my favorite pictures – the picture of Dee at Alameda, sitting in a very small chair with a little child sleeping on her lap.

We handed out bundles and took pictures.  Ben played with the kids on the play structure after we were finished.  Doug and Lynne were making balloons and they taught the teachers a game to teach the kids.  The rest of us played soccer, or just hung out with the teachers/students.

La Florida was our next center, and a beautiful center it was.  Located in a completely gated area of the community, La Florida has a fairly new building – just built in 2010.  With 160 students, it was very crowded.  It wasn’t a very large facility, but with 3 floors, I imagine the kids and the teachers can spread out a little.  The top floor is the play area, and from there you can see Las Vistas (another child care center).  While we were looking at it, I was told that Ludsvin, my sponsored child, was here.  I had the privilege of spending a couple hours with him.  We talked, played, I shared with him the gifts that my son and my family had sent.  He is always a joy to see.

The program started, and our team again introduced themselves.  Doug and Lynne tell the kids of their children and grand children.  Ben reminded the kids that God loves them and told them that some day we will be able to speak to them in the language of Heaven (which I told Phil is Greek – or at least that is what they tell me at AMG).  Wayne encouraged the kids, and Jack did as well, to know that they are loved by God.  The kids sang a few songs, and we started handing out bundles again.  After the bundles were handed out, we passed out candy, painted faces, played with kids… whatever we could to show them they are loved by God.

We returned home and had dinner with the Wilsons.  We played a few games, learned a few card tricks, and reflected on the day’s events.  This group is loving the opportunity that God has given them. 

Tomorrow is a long day in Oratorio – it starts early – and will go late.  It’ll be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment