Thursday, March 28, 2013

Northampton Presbyterian Missions Trip - Day 6


Well, the bus wasn’t all it was cracked up to be…  I found out this morning that Pastor Jose thought that the bottom level of the bus was better than the top level, so he purchased the bottom level for us.  He was a little disappointed when I told him that the top seats on the bus fully reclined, but the bottom seats do not.  It was a lot better than the bus ride up to Huaraz, but since I had told the team that we would have the fully reclining seats, I think they were disappointed as well.  No one complained, as a matter of fact, they responded very well and went to sleep.  The only “issue” we had was when the stewardess lady came in and put Jenna’s and Anthony’s seats down.  They were reading, and weren’t ready to lay down, but since she put their seats down, they waited until she left and put them up again.  I thought it was funny, because there really was no reason why she insisted on laying them down.  Maybe she thought they were tired.

We arrived in Lima around 6 in the morning, and were picked up around 6:30.  We went to the hotel and put our things in our room, showered and got ready for the day.  By 8:00 we were at the church eating eggs, bread, and bacon.  The Apon family does a great job of feeding us in the morning.  We began practicing some songs for the kids, and soon were ready to head to the center.  No one knew what we had in store for us…

We stopped at Metro to pick up water and Gatorade for the team, and then headed to the child care center.  We parked and carried our things up the dirty stairs to the small church building.  You would have never thought that there were 60+ kids inside.  But as soon as we walked through the door, they welcomed us with a “good morning” in a strong Spanish accent.  They swarmed the team and we couldn’t even get through the door.  Anna (my daughter’s sponsored child) asked if she was here.  I had to tell her she was not – she was disappointed, but not for long.  We walked through the mob of kids to the front of the facility to put all of our things on the stage.  It was difficult to walk as kids were hugging us and trying to kiss us.  Eventually we made it and put our things down.  As I turned to look at the kids at the table, some of them were finishing up their books. Kid after kid showed the team members their books – with pride, showing us what they had completed.  I was very impressed with some as they had done a very nice job coloring, but also recording the bible stories on the lines given. 

The team spared no time blending in and playing with the kids.  It was a madhouse!  The team really seemed to enjoy the connections with the kids.  It always amazes me to see the connections that start almost immediately and last throughout the entire day.  Jeremy had one little boy stay with him all day – he literally had to tear the boy away to be able to leave.  Anyway, we saw some funny things today – from the great idea to do face paint with our fingers…  Kids were painting everyone’s faces.  Jeremy looked like one of the “blue man group” people – completely painted blue all over his head – to kids making bracelets, necklaces, blowing bubbles, doing pushups, playing soccer…  they were a blast to watch.

My little Norma was hilarious as she acted like she had no idea who I was.  She is so incredibly smart and funny.  I love to hear her talk and to watch her as she plays with others.  I am humbled to be able to sponsor her and watch her grow up.  My wife and I are trying to find a way to help her family, and it seems like we have finally figured it out.  We are planning to help her pay her rent by “hiring” Norma’s mother at the center.  They said they will give her work to do maybe 3 days a week, and we can help her pay her rent with the money she earns.  I hope this is just the beginning of a long term relationship with them. Norma has brought us so much joy as we get to sponsor her and see her grow.  I was able to hug her and laugh with her and just encourage her to do well in school. I was also able to give her the backpack Dee gave me the money for – she really liked that.

The team sang songs – and the kids clapped along.  Then Jenna and Kelly shared their testimonies.  They did a great job and gave a clear presentation of the good news of the gospel.  I think it is so much more impacting when the teenagers share their stories, because the kids can identify with them because they are about the same age.  I pray that if there are any there who don’t know Christ, that they would come to know him as a result of the things these girls shared.

After a couple of hours of interaction with the children, we handed out the certificates and candy for the kids who completed their books.  One by one, the kids left the center and received their certificate, a candy bar, and took a picture with a team member.  I think the kids really appreciated the gifts from the kids.

As the kids left, half of our team went on home visits and the other half stayed and played ball with the kids.  We visited some of the poorest people in the area and they welcomed us into their homes.  We saw a house no larger than most American’s living rooms, but 5 people lived there.  We saw a variety of houses, met a number of people, and basically walked around the area with kids showing us their homes.  They all seemed to appreciate our visits.  I pray that God would encourage those we visited.

We returned to the hotel, and boy did we get some funny looks as we traveled home.  Usually, people look at us a little different because we are “gringos”, but today, many of our team had paint all over their faces – especially Jeremy.  And with him sitting in the front seat of the one vehicle, he really stuck out.  Not to mention that he seemed to enjoy the attention – making faces at us as our car pulled alongside his.

We showered and cleaned up for dinner.  We walked about 4 blocks to the Italian restaurant, where we met with the Apons – Jose, Theresa, Lutgarda, Leah and Carla.    We had a wonderful time as we ate pizza and talked.  Jeremy started a very strange way to drink that many of the team attempted to mimic – if you want to know more you will need to ask someone on the team.  We followed the pizza with a ice cream dessert - the team really liked that.

As the day drew to a close, we took some time for devotions, played some rage, watched some “futbol” on TV, and unwound from a chaotic day.  Tomorrow is more of the same – with about 2-3 times the number of kids…  here we go again!!!

Thought for the day: As I sat down in my seat on the bus, I was wondering why this team ended up on the bottom level of the bus when just above our heads was a much better situation. Jeremy and I ended up in the last row, so our seats didn’t recline as far as everyone else on the team, so we had it just a little “worse” than the others.  Why couldn’t we be upstairs? 

Then it dawned on me – I have a seat in a bus that is taking me to Lima while I sleep (or at least attempt to).  I will be in a hotel in the morning, have a good hot breakfast ready for me at the church, and really have many of the comforts of home even as I travel.  I am not walking.  I am not pressed in with dozens of other passengers.  I am in a seat by myself, I have food, drink, and a blanket and pillow.

Why do I so quickly seek my own comfort and forget the plight of others?  Because I am selfish by nature and seek to make myself happy more than anything first.  Lord help me be willing to “suffer” for Him – and really know when I am actually suffering.  Having a less than perfect seat on a bus is hardly suffering!  After a day like today – seeing the house situations and the lack of “normal” comforts, I pray that I will not forget the blessings that God gives me, and that I will choose to be thankful for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment