Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cedarville University Peru Trip - Day 2

Another early morning as I awoke to the alarm at 5:30 (about 2 hours after I went to bed).  Actually Noah’s watch and my clock went off at the same time, and as I stumbled about to find out what was making the noise, I walked over to Noah.  Still in a sleeping haze, I walked over to his bed.   I thought he was Dee, and as I reached to get his attention, he turned over and I noticed his watch making the noise.  Then I realized the other noise was coming from the other side of the room. I walked back to the restroom where my phone was beeping.  It really was a weird beginning to the day.

By 6:30 everyone was up and ready to go.  We consolidated some of our things so we weren’t carrying so much to Huaraz.  Because we only had a limited amount of time we were not able to get breakfast, so fig newtons, Pop tarts and water carried us over to lunch.  We ate at the bus station and by 8:10 we were on the bus heading to the mountains.

We had a special surprise in store for us, as we started out of the station, the gentleman up front put a movie on.  I was surprised when I saw “Sherwood Pictures”.  Yeah, we had the opportunity to watch Fireproof (Spanish with English subtitles).  What a blessing it was to know that they were showing this movie that has a clear presentation of the gospel, and a great model of what Biblical marriage looks like.  Only God knows what the ramifications of this movie can be to the Peruvian culture.

We stopped for lunch at Cheto’s (a roadside restaurant where Movil Tours stops at the halfway mark).  We purchased 6 plates of food to be shared with the team.  Grilled chicken, fried chicken, rice, French fries…  it was delicious.  Levi encouraged 3 of the others to try Inca Cola.  They all seemed to have a great time.

Back on the bus for 4 more hours of travel.  Some rested, some read, some worked on their devotional manuals, and some watched “Lo Imposible” (Spanish with Spanish subtitles) the movie about the tsunami.  Looks like a pretty good movie, but after it ended we watched the 30 second clip over and over again.  Just enough to drive you crazy.

We arrived safely in Huaraz, but had to wait on our bags as they were in another bus – go figure.  We arrived at the hotel before 5, and had our evening meeting/dinner at 6.  Rebekah suggested we do an “exercise” to get to know one another – a person talks about themselves for 2 minutes and then the team asks them questions for 18.  We heard from Alyson and Hayley while we waited for the pizza to arrive.  It was rather interesting.

This group is very open and willing to share - we had a great discussion about God and truth.  I am looking forward to our devotional times in the morning.

It has been a long day – Hillary’s 19th Birthday – and I am ready for bed.  The team has been encouraged to have lights out by 10.  Breakfast is late tomorrow – 8:00 AM!!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  As we drove over the mountains, you cannot help but be amazed at the magnitude of these mountains.  One of my favorite sections of the road is a stretched out plain that holds various cattle that look like ants with the backdrop of the monstrous snow capped mountain behind it.  The majesty of the mountain is overwhelming.  The power necessary to raise this rock up out of the earth is immeasurable.

This is my Father.  He, with a word, created all that exists, and is powerful beyond my comprehension.  There is no limit to the power his hand wields.  The bible tells us that the stars are the work of his fingers!  I am always humbled as I look at His handiwork.

However, His powerful hands are a place of security and rest for me.  I do not fear the power of His hand, but rather rest in the knowledge that He is a loving Father who is my rock, my fortress, my protection, my safe place.  This is my Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment