Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Guatemala – Bundles of Love – Day 6 (December 8)


Today started out a little dreary – not because of the weather, but because Harrison is obviously sick.  He has had a rash all week but we were not sure what the problem was.  He was throwing up, so he didn’t eat much.  When we got to Verbana (the largest center), Harrison was told by the American doctor that he might have strep and should not be around the other children.  He was so looking forward to seeing Ludsvin, and now it would not happen.  I assured him that God knew this was going to happen, and he handled it well.  Dee and Harrison went back to Thelma’s to rest.  Maybe tomorrow he can see Ludsvin – but I doubt it.

It continued on a down hill slope as we found out that the children had already arrived, received their bundles and were sent home before we arrived.  I don’t know why that happened either, but God knows what He is doing. 

Instead, we got a tour of the facilities and a presentation on the work that AMG is doing in Guatemala.  It was very informative.  While the team was touring, I had to go see the facility that my last team was working on when we were here.  I wouldn’t have recognized it from the outside, and definitely not from the inside.  The facility was amazing.  Tile floors, two way mirror in the counseling room, new windows, clean restroom…  It was so far from what we had originally seen there.  Chad Smith and I sat talking about the facility and what God had done to bring the right group there to work on it, and what God was doing to bring about the staff to care for the kids.  The stories are amazing.

Eventually we headed off for Las Vistas where Ludsvin goes to school.  It was a great visit.  We sang with the kids in the church, shared about ourselves, and Dan again presented the gospel.  The room was full.  When this was over, we made our way downstairs to hand out bundles.  I was able to take pictures of some kids for my sister’s class in PA who gave money and pictures for a couple of kids.  It was rather cool. 

We talked with Ludsvin (Brooke, Josh and I) and gave him his gifts.  He even took us to his home.  I wish I had brought something for his grandmother and the family, but I was not prepared.  Next time I will need to be.

Soon it was time to head back to Thelma’s.  Dee and Harrison were resting and the rest of the group continued preparing for the teacher’s party tomorrow.  I think it is going to be great!  Dee is doing sign language, Brooke and Heidi are reading scripture, we are showing “Fireproof” and playing soccer with the men.  The ladies are going to do manicures for the women as well – I pray that goes over well also. 
 
The team brought about 60 gifts for men and women – we are going to auction them off as well – It is going to be a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy reading your blog. Especially exciting and more real to me as I have a sponsored child in Guatemala now. Praying for little Thaily, her family, her community. Praying for you as well. Thankful that God blessed you with safe travels in 2011.

    ReplyDelete