Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Guatemala – Bundles of Love – Day 1 (December 3)

So far so good – the day began at 5:00 in the morning with the alarm sounding just a minute after I hopped up.  We stayed in Atlanta last night so that we didn’t have to drive early this morning.  Dee, Harrison, Brooke, Josh and myself were ready to go an on the shuttle by 5:30 – AMAZING!

The day really went without a hitch – we got on the first plane at 7:20ish, and left for Miami at 7:40.  We arrived in Miami at 9:20ish, and met with Ann, Heidi and John.  After a quick lunch, we boarded the plane about 11:45, and were on our way to GUA by 12:10. 

In the Miami airport, Harrison spent about 30 -45 minutes walking back and forth down the moving sidewalk – this kid has too much energy!

We arrived on time, and Daniel arrived just about 45 minutes after us.  Smooth as glass!  Something has got to be up!!

The team loaded up in the van, and I rode with Alex and the luggage.  As soon as I stepped into the van, Alex said, “no ingles aqui”.  The ride was about 30 minutes of me attempting my best conversation with him in Spanish.  We had a lot of fun.  I know it must have been hard for him, but he was very patient with me.  We talked about other countries, Guatemala, traveling, my drive to NYC and then to Alabama, I even told him about the commercial on the tv about the two guys learning Spanish in 13 hours.

The team van was stopped by the local officials (yeah, the cops) Phil Wilson was driving, but we were shortly on our way to Thelma’s.  Phil and Jen Wilson, Dave and Mandy Osborne (and 2 of their kids) were there to join us at the airport and rode back with us. 

When we arrived, Harrison picked up where he left off, hanging out with Kiki, Sami and Sassy – Thelma’s grand daughters.  They even ended up going out on the town with Jose (their dad) – he hasn’t returned yet, so I am not sure exactly what they are doing.

The remainder of the team ate dinner and hung out together – we talked about all kinds of stuff.  This team is going to be very different from others in the past, but I think we are going to have a great week.

Well, enough for now – I will write more tomorrow.  We are heading to Xela (pronounced shay-la) and I am not certain I will have internet, but we will see.  No group has ever gone there – so it’s great to be the first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment