Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Guatemala – Bundles of Love – Day 2 (December 4)


Today began by preparing for church at one of the largest churches I have ever been in.  The building looks like an armadillo, or a turtle, and houses a 12,000 seat auditorium.  The place was about ½ full by the time the service was over, but only a ¼ full when the service began.  The worship time was lead by a man, with about a dozen women doing back up vocals on the sides of the platform (almost out of view).  We had headphones so we could follow the service (translated into English), but I kept mine off most of the time since the interpreter had a whiny voice and lost the thought occasionally.  I really need to learn Spanish – our ministry here would be so much more successful.

After church we hit the local Burger King, and then headed off to Xela.  It was a good time of reconnecting with people, Ruth, Brian, Mary, the rest of the Dennett/Wilson/Osborne families.  Dan Anderson joined us at Thelmas, because he is going to spend the week with us.

The ride to Xela was uneventful, but rather beautiful!  It was amazing seeing the mountains, the volcanoes, the valleys and all of the buildings and people.  The view we saw were outstanding.  We stopped at a rest area about ½ way to Xela, and because it was overcast we were not able to see much.  I hope the trip home proves to have clear skies – the views would be amazing.

When we arrived at the hotel in Xela, we split up and headed to our rooms.  All 5 guys stayed in a little 3 bedroom suite – with only 1 bathroom.  No problem.  We got ready for dinner, and then went out.  We went to Pollo Campero (kind of like Kentucky Fried Chicken), but I ordered a pizza.  Harrison and I shared the Hawaiian pizza – it was good, but nothing to write home about.

When we returned to the hotel, Dan – the oldest of the crew at 74 years of age – decided to take a shower.  I never laughed harder when he got out and started describing the shower he just took.  “It was like icicles hitting me in the head” he went on to describe the cold water.  Surely it wasn’t that bad.  Josh followed him by taking a 3-4 minute shower – also complaining of the coldness.  John was next.  He jumps in and starts quoting Psalm 23, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want”.  The best part was when he got to the “Yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”.  I couldn’t help but laugh.  By the time I got into the shower, the water was tolerable, but still not warm.  I hope the next three days aren’t too hot, cause I think that’s the last shower we are taking!

Tomorrow we are going to the first 2 child care centers – we will see how they go – I am excited to be handing out bundles tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment