Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Haiti Trip - Day 1

Haiti Trip – Day 1 (October 4)

The morning began with running around to finish plans for the trip. Last week I was at Grove City College at a missions conference, so I feel ill prepared for this trip. So many details that I feel like I did not remember the week before I left for GCC. However, here we go...

At 10:00 we left AMG International, Karen Farney joined us for the ride to the airport so she could drive my car back to Chattanooga. Karen Myrick, Rebecca Long, Michelle Shrum and I headed to Justin Lonas' home to pick up Dr Bobby Lonas (his father). By 10:30 we were on our way to Atlanta.

The ride was uneventful, but it was interesting to watch the interaction of the team. I think this group is going to get along well. Bobby has been to Haiti once before, so we quizzed him about what we were to expect as we arrived there. He told us that the food was pretty good – which is exactly the opposite of what Pete and Roger had told me. We will see.

Speaking of food, we stopped at Subway a few miles from the airport, and grabbed some lunch before finishing the journey to the airport. We arrived, unloaded and 2 hours later we were on our way to Miami.

The flight was smooth and we met with Dean Lenz at the baggage claim and we headed off the the La Quinta Inn. After supper at Bennigans (where I ate a Monte Carlo – great story about this sandwich) we walked back to the hotel to prepare for an early evening.

We repositioned all of our stuff to make sure that our checked luggage was under 44 lbs, and our carry on luggage was around 8 lbs. That's right – 8 pounds! Needless to say, we did not have much in the carry on.

Before going to sleep, Dr Lonas, Dr Lenz and myself spent a few minutes talking about things we have been learning about God, and then took some time to pray for the week. I think this is going to be an excellent trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment