Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mexico Trip - Day 5

Today began very differently, as we knew there was going to be no physical labor. There was a relaxed atmosphere as the kids enjoyed playing a little ball even before breakfast. We were all looking forward to a trip to the city and shopping. I took the opportunity to skype Dee then, and it was obvious that she is struggling with being alone. Both Kendra and Brooke are busy with sports and work, so the past two days of being home is wearing on her. We had a nice talk, but I would have loved to reach through the computer and wrap my arms around her. Without her support and knowing that she is alright, my efforts here are useless.

After a great breakfast of eggs and bacon, we had a little devotional time followed by the beginnings of a Rage game. The game was interrupted by an announcement time about what we were going to have to deal with during the day – keeping our passports, taking care of money as we shop, bartering with the shop owners, etc. Just basic information for survival in the market place. We then made our lunch – mine included a ham and cheese (with mayo) peanut butter and jelly (strawberry) sandwich. Yum!! Then we loaded up for our trip into town.

We headed first to the Aztec pyramid, going to a museum and walking around the excavations of the pyramid. We learned that there had been a collapse inside so the interior part of the pyramid would not be open until August. As we walked around the base of the pyramid, we stopped to do some shopping. I just watched the people shop. I did have the opportunity to give a little girl a “wordless book” bracelet. Only God knows the fruit of that encounter.

After that we walked up to the cathedral that the Spanish built on top of the mound of dirt they placed over the pyramid. It was a long and tedious walk – numerous stairs – too many to count. The view was amazing! You could see for miles. Volcanoes, mountains, and lots of houses. We learned that 96 % of the people in Puebla profess to be catholic. It was sad to think about.

We headed down the mountain to lunch. We ate under a tree, and we learned some of the skills of the team. Nate, the tree climber and Eli, the apple tearer, exhibited their skills. I had never seen anyone tear an apple in half – but he did it numerous times. Maybe I will try it later. I am worried that I will crush the apple before it breaks – you know – P90X and all...

After lunch we loaded up for a drive down town to go shopping. We had a lot of fun looking at all of the things the team members purchased. As I was looking for something for my wife and children, I saw a dress that just jumped out and said, “buy me – Dee will look gorgeous in it!” I had a hard time bartering since I really wanted it. I got a different colored one for the girls as well – they will look good in them also. Due to the World Cup being on tomorrow, I kept looking for jerseys for Harrison, and I could not find one. I did find a shirt and poncho for me however! Anyway, with 13 minutes left in our shopping time, I found out about a place outside of the shopping area, and went quickly to find Harrison a jersey. Sure enough, I found him a team Mexico jersey – I really think he will like it.

I hustled back to the rest of the team – with minutes to spare. We started walking for the cathedral on the other side of town. It was a LONG walk – but very pleasant since the sun had gone behind the clouds. Earlier in the day, people everywhere were looking for shade – it was extremely hot. Anyway, we arrived at the cathedral, and it was a massive building, very beautiful, but filled with images of a fallen, dying and dead Christ. It was a place without hope. Missing the message of grace by inches, but as a result, missing the blessings of Christ by an eternity. Again, it was very impactful.

We left there an headed for dinner at a restaurant. Forty people trying to fit into a small, Christian owned restaurant downtown was not an easy feat, but we had a great time. I think the people there really enjoyed having our group. We had musicians come in and bless us – and sing to Katy because she is turning 15 on Monday. The meal was delicious – genuine Mexican. Oh, I forgot to mention, (I remember it because we were watching TV) USA lost to Ghana today 2-1. It was very disheartening for the team. Tomorrow, Mexico plays Argentina – I hope for better things for Mexico, but it doesn't look good.

As we arrived home, I jumped on Skype to check on Dee, and she was doing much better. I showed her some of the things that I purchased, and even though she really couldn't get a handle on what they really looked like, she graciously acted excited. I am really looking forward to seeing the dress on her.

By 8:45 were ready for devotions. The team sang songs, and I was brought to tears as again I was reminded of my great God who forgave me of my sin and chose to use me in spite of my sin. He is a great God – I don't understand Him, but I thank Him for his willingness to use me. I opened the floor for discussion about the day, and the team shared the things God taught them Much was said about the Cathedrals that we were able to visit. The team is opening up more frequently. It is exciting to watch. I had the privilege of talking about Matthew 5:17-20, 48. It was a good discussion.

Following devos, we played Rage. Matt won again, but just by a point. Eli was right behind.

As we wrapped up for bed, I noticed that 2 of the guys were outside, and I had the chance to encourage them with some things that God has taught me. I was able to listen to things they were struggling with and challenge them to continue to grow in their walk with God. It was a great 30 minute talk. We ended with a “group hug” including my “I'm-not-gay” three pat - I was blessed by God to be part of their lives at that moment.

As I laid down for bed, I couldn't sleep – hence the typing at 12:30 in the morning. I laid and prayed for God to continue to work on me. I need the obedience of Noah, the faith of Abram, the faithfulness of Joseph, the humility of Moses, the boldness of Joshua, the heart of David, the determination of Daniel, the passion of Paul... and so many other things. I want these things, but I need to want them more. God has been so good to me, and I am so frail.

Well, it is late, and it is already tomorrow, so officially this should be on Day 6 – but I guess since I am writing, I am the one who gets to decide.

Tomorrow (or actually today) we are going to church and then ministering at a camp. It is going to be fun, but a lot of work. I better get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment