Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mexico Trip - Day 4

Throughout the day, we got back to work and finished getting the ditch dug for the large sewer line. We also dug the final lengths for the connecting lines and finished one of them. The ladies helped paint Librada's home and finished sealing the roof. The afternoon was spent refilling the ditches – a job that will take us well into Monday. I have been amazed at the work that this team has been able to accomplish, of course with 30 people, it is to be expected to get a lot of work done, but they have done massive amounts of work.

Lunch was much like other days, but we had a mushroom and noodle soup with mashed potatoes and corn. Of course, my plate was just filled with corn. Jeremy shared his testimony, and then we took some time for worship. It was very exciting.

The remainder of the day was pretty normal, we just found out today what we are going to do tomorrow. The kids are getting excited about the chance to see Mayan ruins and go out to eat at a truly Mexican restaruant.

In the evening, we had our devotional time and I asked the group to share the things they are learning about God. A couple of the kids shared, and then things got quiet. Matt looked at me and said, “What did God teach you today?” I had the chance to talk about the lesson God reminded me of life being about Him and His glory, not me and mine. During the day, I had a number of situations where people I was interacting with I was not certain what they were thinking in regards to me. For instance, I was trying to help Roy mix some concrete, and twice I slopped him with the mix. I apologized after the first time, but just seconds later, I did it again.. He filled his trough with concrete and slapped it at me. I know he was not mad, but I also thought he thought I did it on purpose. His demeanor changed, and I wrestled with what he was thinking about me. I was convicted that regardless of what he was thinking about me, that was not important. I needed to do whatever was necessary to resolve the issue, but I needed to make sure that it was not because of me that I worried about what he was thinking.

The day ended with a great game of Rage. The kids loved learning the game, and Matt ended up being our first winner. I was impressed with how quickly they picked up on the game. There was a lot of “getting other people” in the game. It was a lot of fun.

Something else I have not mentioned is our evening activity when the guys are in bed. We have ended most nights with riddles, and then a word of prayer. I have really enjoyed getting to know these kids.

Looking forward to a great day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment