Saturday, August 10, 2013

Raymond Baptist - Guatemala Trip - Day 7

Today was full of new experiences.  What an amazing day.

Due to the lateness of the hour, I am going to record only the highlights...

  • We went to Las Vistas (The Views) Child Care Center and met the 300+ children that went to the AMG school there.  The team visited classrooms and interacted with the teachers and the children.  I had the privilege of seeing my sponsored boy, Ludsvin, and give him a few gifts.  We also were able to deliver a gift for another sponsor - Rachel had the privilege of handing that child her gifts.
  • From there we went to Verbana and the team delivered candy to all of the students in the school.  Class by class they went and gave students and teachers candy and thanked them for an amazing week.
  •  After lunch, we went to recess with the kids and took a group photo with a bunch of the kids.  We were wanting to take pictures with all of them, but they were all over the place playing games.  After the picture we played games with the children until it was time to go back to class.
  • When the kids went to class, the team loaded up in the van to go to see the city dump.  Over 11,000 people are said to work in the dump, and we were able to view it from the back side of the national cemetery.  It was a sobering sight as we watched thousands of people dig through garbage to find something of value.  As we prepared to leave, we took some time to pray for the people - we prayed that God's light would shine into the darkness, and that many would come to know Him as their Savior.
  •  After the dump we headed back to Verbana only to be swamped by a major rain storm.  It shut down the possibility of working on the building outside, but we only had an hour to do it anyway because...
  • At 4:00 we had a "futsal"  tournament where we played soccer on the basketball court - 4 on 4!  We had 4 teams and when all was said and done, we handed out trophies for first, second, third and forth place.  The reality is that no one really cared who won, but each team played hard and played well.  It was a blast.
  • By 6:30 we were home and preparing for the Wilson's to join us for dinner at 7:30.  We had a wonderful meal and then said goodbye to the Wilsons.  Darby Scott (another AMG team leader) stayed and played "never have I ever..." with the team.  We were up until 10:00 playing!  It was a great team building/"get to know you" type experience.
  • Following our game, Darby left and the team gathered for a quick challenge to continue on with a focus for ministry even though our work at Verbana was done.  Then I gave them all the letter they wrote to God a number of months ago.  I pray that as they interact with what they had written that God would use it to confirm some things in their hearts and minds.
Now it is time for bed, and I am ready to go to bed.

Thought for the day:    I had the opportunity to call my wife this afternoon, and she was sad and alone.  This happens occasionally when life slows down when I am gone and she has extra time on her hands.  We had a great talk, but it isn't like being there.

The thought I had was, without her and her support, I could not do what I do.  God has given me a wonderful helper who has been faithful to me and has been a huge encouragement to me.  I have been truly blessed with such a vital partner in ministry.  Interestingly enough, I awoke this morning thinking about how much joy she brings to my life.  I am so blessed.

I pray that as my remaining unmarried children move forward in life, that they too would be patient enough to find the partner that will help them be successful in doing what God has designed them to do.  As I talk with others that are unmarried, it is my prayer for them as well. 

Father, thank you for giving me a helper who cares for me so well and encourages me in my service for you.  Thank you for not giving me what I thought I wanted, but what I needed.  Thank you for knowing that what I needed would eventually be exactly what I want!  You are an amazing Father - and Dee is an amazing wife!  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment