Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Chattanooga Medical - Guatemala Trip - Day 4

Today was a fairly normal day - if you consider a team of 12 medical professionals doing 13 surgeries in less than 10 hours normal!  Seriously, they had both operating rooms running throughout the day and even did a couple procedures in the waiting room.  I do not cease to be amazed at what this group does each day.

Outside the operating room, we discussed Ephesians 2 this morning and we sent them off with a charge to walk in the things that God has laid out before them today.  The thing that God laid out for me today was working on a video, doing laundry, and preparing for a celebration and a wedding.  I spent much of the day running from here to there, and working on the computer - a fairly normal day.

The evening was spent rehearsing the day, eating dinner, taking a walk, and resting together as a team.  I asked them at dinner how their day went, and overall, things were positive.  Over all, it was a very good day.

Thought for the day:  As we were in the square this evening, Stephen and I were talking about truth and error.  As we talked, we recognized that the greatest deception is being close to the truth without actually arriving at it.  In other words, believing something that is true, only modifying the truth just a little to make it actually not true.

This got me thinking about evaluating truth.  Why do I believe what I believe?  How much time am I spending defending my positions in my study?  I am not talking about preparing to win arguments, or prepping myself to be smarter than other people.  I am talking about critically thinking about the things I know to be true, and taking time to strengthen my understanding and belief.

I think Paul's encouragement to Timothy to "study" God's Word was based on this idea.  We need to understand God's Word so that we can be ready to "give an answer" to anyone who asks about the hope that lies within us.

God help me study your Word with a passion to know you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment