Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chattanooga Medical - Guatemala Trip - Day 5

Today was a lot like the other days - 8 surgeries (less than last year), and I had the privilege of taking pictures during 2 of them. (and I took a lot of pictures).

We finished early today, so we took a hike up the nearby mountain. About 100 yards from the top, Coleman decided he had gone far enough, so I walked back with him.  The rest of the group went to the top of the mountain and took pictures.

As Coleman and I arrived back at the hospital, there was a crowd surrounding the entrance.  Apparently someone was shot, and they had brought him to the hospital.  By the time we arrived, he was being loaded up in the ambulance to go to Salama, because they do not have the equipment/facilities for such a serious chest injury.

When the rest of the team returned, we went to the market for a little while before dinner, and eventually headed back for dinner.

The evening was rather relaxing.  We had some good conversation, went out for ice cream, and sat and relaxed.  While we were at the ice cream place, we had two funny occurrences.  First, a little girl had a piggy bank.  One of the team members put some coins in the bank.  She started singing "Musica, Musica" (holding the "a" out).  I would make a face and she would start laughing.  Then when I looked away, she would start again.  It was cute.  After a short time, Ester (the head nurse) showed up and I told her we were waiting for her to purchase our ice cream.  So she did. (or at least tried to).  While she was giving the team the ice cream she 'bought', I paid for it.  She insisted on paying, but I had already paid.

It was a good day.  Tomorrow is our last "full day" of surgery - although I believe they only have a few left.

Thought for the day:  When sharing in Ephesians this morning, I was talking about Ephesians 4 and the first verse I read was Ephesians 4:7.  I went on to talk about verses 11-16, but after I was done, Stephen came up to me and shared a thought from verse 7.

The verse says, "But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift."  the part he focused on was that last part.  The "measure of Christ's gift".  What is the measure of Christ's gift?  And grace was given according to that measure?

It is the gospel in one verse - a reminder we all need.  Grace was given to me as a result of Christ living a perfect life and offering His perfection for my sinfulness.  Grace was given to me completely, fully and sufficiently.  The gifts and abilities I have are given by God to be used for God and are to be offered back to God.  It is all about what He has done.

The measure of Christ's gift cannot be calculated on a human scale.  There is no measurement that can find the height, the length or the depth of his grace.  What an amazing grace!  What an amazing gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment