Saturday, June 22, 2013

Princeton Bible Church - Peru Trip - Day 7

Another amazing day here in Peru.  The weather is cool - there is a slight drizzle as the day begins,  and the team is walking to the church for breakfast and devotions.  No one complains though, because, after all, we are in Peru!

We arrived at church, took some time for devotions, and then ate our usual eggs and bacon with bread breakfast. They added some potato and cheese dish as well - we are so blessed to have such wonderful food.

We loaded up into three vehicles and headed across town for our last day of ministry with the children.  The team has done such a great job - they have represented their families, their churches, and most importantly, their God well.  They have followed instruction, served the children, loved one another, and ministered with passion and energy day in and day out.  It has been a joy to watch.

But today was going to be difficult because we will not be back tomorrow.  The team, the kids, the workers will all be realizing this fact as the day goes on, so eventually the reality of it all will set in.

We worked at the first center - doing the Bible story, playing games, doing the craft - much like the other days, but every moment seemed more valuable because the end was near.  The team interacted with as many kids as possible - we handed out gifts, candy, shirts, and just loved on the kids as we had opportunity.  Eventually we had to leave, but Carla and Carlo had planned a "health class" for the older kids so Alyssa, Kate, Robin and Brennen stayed back to answer questions. From what I gather, they had a great time.

The second center was more of the same - just another day to love on kids and play with them and share Jesus with them.  Some of the team members were reading tracts with the kids, others reading bibles, others just sitting and talking - but all of them were sharing with the kids.  It is a blessing to watch, and knowing that some of them are planning to join the sponsorship program with AMG is wonderful as well.  I know they will be blessed by being part of these kids lives - they really already have.

We took a group photo - it was awesome!  Kids, workers, our team - all on the stairs outside the center - this was a great week.

Thought for the day: My daughter and her husband sent their sponsored child a camera with 27 pictures on it - they asked her to take pictures of things that were important to her.  I did my best to explain to her what she needed to do, and very quickly she was ready for the assignment.  How humbled I was as she turned the camera to me and took her first photo (obviously not because I was the most important thing to her, but I was the closest at the time).  It was humbling because I was included in her list.  She left and about 20 minutes later returned with the camera full.  I have no idea what other pictures she took, but I am looking forward to finding out.

If I was given the assignment to take a picture of the 27 most important things to me, what would they be?  As I pondered this, and thought about where I am, I had to conclude it would be the people that are the most important to me.  My wife, my children, my family, my friends...  the rest of my stuff is just that - stuff.  I don't value any of the stuff I have enough to put it anywhere near the top 100 (nevertheless the top 27).

I have no idea what pictures she did take, but my guess is this camera is full of pictures of people.  We can learn a lot from people who don't have much - maybe sometimes they have more than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment