Thursday, June 20, 2013

Princeton Bible Church - Peru Trip - Day 6

Today was more of the same - but boy did we have some interesting experiences...

  • We spent more time at the Spiros Zodhiates Center today.  They shared the Bible story, played games, did crafts, and loved on the kids.  We broke out the tennis balls, the jump ropes, the beach ball, and the K'nex pieces.  The kids loved all of the various activities and games.
  • Harrison and I were able to go to Harold's home and see his mother.  We purchased some Inca Cola for the team from their tienda.  Harold is doing very well in school - had almost all perfect scores on his exams.  I am thrilled because he is learning English.
  • At the second center we again sang songs, had a Bible story, did crafts and games.  Five of the team members have picked up children to sponsor from this center - so they love going there in the afternoons.  Today a local group (who helped build 9 homes in the area) spent some time with the children allowing them to paint small "houses" that they had provided for the kids.  Our group was able to work with the kids while they painted the houses.
  • In the mean time, Natalie (Morgan's little girl) was injured by an accident with one of the boys, and may need stitches.  Morgan did a great job of caring for her.
  • We left the center a little early today - we were not sure exactly why - but 1/2 way home we found out part of the reason.  All day long we have been smelling the clutch, and on the highway it stopped working - we were stuck on the side of the road for over 2 hours.  Eventually we all made it back to the church where we had Lomo Saltado (a Peruvian dish). 
  • Five (not so smart) team members acted like they walked back to the hotel early - since they arrived at the church first.  They thought it was funny hiding from me in the baptismal area.  I am not going to mention their names, but three of the five ladies were from Chattanooga...  just saying :-)
  • After dinner we all did walk back to the hotel where we had our final wrap up.  The team is getting tired, and so we turned in a little earlier (or at least they did) and we are planning a little later start in the morning.
Tomorrow is our last day - we will be wearing our team shirts and handing out bunches of candy and stuff to kids.  It will be a great "celebration", but also a hard day of saying goodbye.  They will need prayer. (Especially since we don't know how we are getting to the center.)

Thought for the day:  So I am playing with the kids at the soccer goal and they are asking me to lift them up so they can hang from the goal.  One after another, the kids are trying to get me to lift them up - they are calling to me and lining up to hang from the soccer goal.  Eventually I get tired, so I asked them to jump.  If they did, I lifted them to the goal - if not I didn't.

Kind of reminded me of my Heavenly Father who asks me to obey and when I do, things work out as they are supposed to - for my best and for His glory - and what a blast it is as I enjoy serving Him.  When I don't, they seem to still work out for His glory, I just don't get the pleasure of enjoying the ride.

One little girl was hanging from the goal, and she wanted so badly to let go, but she was afraid to fall.  I was behind her and I got a firm grasp on her waist and waited for her to let go.  For the longest time she held on.  Little by little her fingers began to slip, and (although I could not see her face) I could sense her fear of letting go.  Eventually she had no choice and when she let go, she didn't even move.  I was holding her tightly, and I held her right where she was when she was holding on to the bar.  She had nothing to be afraid of - I was able to hold her, I was willing to hold her.

In the same way, when times call for faith in my Father who is not only able, but also willing to hold me - I need to let go and allow Him to sustain me - as He is even when I am holding on and thinking I have control.

Thank you God that you are both powerful and good - I know I can trust you in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment