Monday, March 19, 2012


Three images of connection - representing 3 models of connection.


The first presents a closed circle of connection.  Intimate, yes, inclusive, no.  This model says, "I am connected and satisfied in my connections. There is no room for others, nor is there a desire to include others.  I have specific needs that are being met by a specific group of people, they have specific needs that I am meeting, and that is all I am interested in."





The second model is self focused.  "I am the central focus of my connections, so at the level at which people are interested in connecting with me, I am equally interested in connecting with them.  I am open to connections from anywhere with anyone so long as I am the core focus of the connections."





The final model allows for my connections to be two way paths that could be duplicated over and over again.  Take any person on the circle and you can build a similar design around them.  The focus is the connections, not the individual.  "With the same intensity that I am being reached out to by others, I also reach out to connect with others.  Connections are a two way street that requires both the give and take."



I was thinking about the problem with connectedness in the church, and I am drawing the conclusion that as long as models 1 and 2 are being used, the church will never impact the world around it to the degree that Christ intended, nor will the church realize the power it was supposed to experience through the connectedness in Christ. 

However, when we follow the model of being connected to Christ - as he has reached out to us already - and then pursuing others with the same intensity that He pursued us, our connectedness is not limited by our own passions, desires, satisfaction, happiness, etc, but rather a desire to see others drawn to Christ as He has pulled us close as well.

From a human standpoint, relationship becomes about caring for what is best for others, not what is best for me.  It allows me to speak truth (that might be painful) for the benefit of the person to whom it is spoken.  It encourages me to build up the other person in Christ that they might be strengthened in their walk with Him.  It challenges me to be an encouragement because it is what is best for them that is of greatest interest to me.

True connectedness and relationship - it is what we all long for, but it does not come easily - or without sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment