Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 7


Well, it finally happened.  It happens in every trip, and this one seemed to take a little longer.  This morning the team split into 2 groups, ladies and men.  The men went to Vincent’s (National Worker) church to teach some pastors how to study and preach the Bible.  The ladies went to the corporate office for the Dorcas ministry – a ministry to women and girls.  When the ladies returned, it was not the group of women that we had sent.  They were one in spirit, they were one in unity.  It was exciting to watch and to listen to as they rehearsed the events of the day and the connections that they had made with the women and each other.  It happens at some time on every trip, but I was starting to wonder if this group of ladies with their varied ages and personalities would click together as one.  What a joy to watch.

On the guy’s side of things, we had a great time opening II Tim 4:1-5 with the 25 or so pastors and their wives.  We each shared our testimonies, and then I began by opening the passage.  I challenged them as Paul challenged Timothy to preach the gospel.  Curtis and Dean did a great job working on verses 3-4 and 5 respectively.  I was able to get up and conclude the passage and give a final word of challenge.  In all, it was a 2 hour sermon that seemed to be only minutes long.

After we finished, we had the opportunity to mingle with the men and talk about ministry where they are, and encourage them to be strong in their faith.  I talked with a pastor who had been preaching since 1984 and another who was just getting started.  We encouraged them to write down questions that they would like to have answered tomorrow when we return.  I had no idea what I was asking, but based on the questions we have, and the men that are working through the passages together, it is going to be a great day tomorrow.
The afternoon was spent eating a late lunch at the office, mingling with the staff and children there, and eventually going back to the hotel.  One of the girls that came with me from Chattanooga said, “I don’t know how you do it.  I feel like I have been working ever since I got here.”  Sometimes it seems like that, but keeping busy does make me more effective, and keeps my mind off the ones back home that I wish to be with.

Tonight I shared the story of Marjorie, Penny, Autumn (her children), the Bundles of Love gifts, and Norma.  Still almost 2 years later I cannot rehearse what God has done without choking up. I find myself periodically sharing with this team about the Guatemala groups, the Peru groups, the Greece groups, and the Mexico team.   I am amazed at the path that God has taken me over the past 10 years to bring me here, and I look forward with much anticipation to the stories that God will bring as I submit to His will.

I am thankful for my friends and family who pray for me regularly, because without their support and prayers, I would fall and I would fail.  “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it” the song writer says, and I know that without the work of Christ in my life, this is my song.  Prayer warriors all over the country uphold me and the teams that I take on these trips.  I look forward to eternity when I am able to watch as they receive their reward for the things God accomplished through me empowered by their prayers.
 
It is almost 12 and I should be going to bed, but I am excited about where the week is heading… Tomorrow is going to be another wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment