Sunday, August 7, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 6


We left for Agape Baptist Church around 8:45 in the morning, and had the privilege of going to Sunday School and Church with the Ugandan people.  The service was wonderful as we had the opportunity to hear a young man preach his first sermon.  He challenged us from the book of Ephesians, chapter 4.  He did a great job.

At one point in the service he made a comment that was rather funny.  He was talking about looking like the father and how we resemble our parents.  Then he said, “Problems come when the child looks like the neighbor.”  Then he just stood there. As people understood what he had just said, they began laughing.  It was a funny illustration, but the truth is, if we are God’s we should look like Him.

After church we went out to eat with Reuben and Florence and their daughter, and Michael.  We had a wonderful time of eating and fellowship – capping off dinner with a frozen dessert.  I had the Chocnut Sundae, which had peanuts and whip cream on a ice milk like ice cream.  It was good.
After dinner, we went to the African Market to shop.  Our team stayed for about 3 hours.  I was impressed by how much this team could spend.  I had fun bartering, I got 4 Ugandan jerseys, a necklace, a shirt, and a pair of sandals for just under $40. 

Michael (a Ugandan national) sat in the bus and waited for us to finish shopping, so I asked him if he would like to go purchase a shirt.  He lit up, and what a joy it was to send him shopping.  While he was looking, I stayed in the bus.  After a few minutes it seemed he had picked out a shirt, so I called to him and reminded him to remember his wife.  He came over to the bus and said, “you think I should just get my wife something?”,  I said, “no, get yourself something, and then pick out a nice dress for her.”  The excitement in his face was priceless.  For about $25, he purchase a very nice shirt and a beautiful dress for his wife.  What a joy it was to be able to serve someone who was serving us all week.

Tomorrow the men will be doing some training with the pastors in the morning – I pray that we do well.  We are planning to walk through II Tim 4:1-5.  The women will be working with the young ladies in the dorcas ministry – a ministry to women to help them know what they should and should not expect from men, how to care for themselves, what it looks like to be a godly woman, etc.  It is critical here in Uganda as rape and molestation have been extremely common here.  The ladies are in for an excellent experience.

I loved talking with my family on Skype today, but I do miss them.  Dee said that someone put an offer on our car – I hope we can sell it soon.

Well, I have some preparations to do, and it is late.  More tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment