Friday, August 5, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 4

As expected, the day began much like yesterday – breakfast, devotions, and then waiting for our friends from Uganda to take us back to Upendo. The morning devotional time was wonderful as we rehearsed what God, the Son, did for us at Calvary. What a great reminder that we were redeemed, forgiven, made aware of the mystery of the Gospel, and given an inheritance in Him.

The trip to Upendo was more of the usual as we are still enjoying the newness of being here in Uganda – looking at the people, the landscape, the animals, etc. Our God is a very creative being, and Uganda screams His glory as you view the beauty of the things we are seeing here.

The children at Upendo were in session when we arrived, they were receiving their reports for the “semester”. We were encouraged to get to work painting, but as we prepared to do so, it was “time for tea”. We sat with our guests and munched on “biscuits”.

Eventually we did begin working, or at least most of the group did. While trying to get to the rooms we were to paint, we were mobbed by students who were supposed to be heading home, but who just had to stop and play. They were teaching our team new words in the Lugandan language, new “games” , and our group taught them to do the hokey pokey. Yeah, I know, real important stuff. Seriously, these kids loved the attention they were receiving.

I had the opportunity to break out the computer and show the kids pictures and videos from my 2009 trip, we had a great time remembering that trip. I was also able to talk with some of the workers, Michael, in particular. He wants to know much about our country, our people, our churches, etc. I asked an equal number of questions about doctrine and the church in Uganda, the people of Uganda, the culture of Uganda, etc. We were able to “compare notes” and both of us were able to gain a greater appreciation for our God who is so creative and who we are just learning about – even after all these years of study.

As we completed the painting projects that we were assigned (and I must confess, I didn’t pick up a brush all day – I was busy talking [as if that surprises anyone]) we broke out the tennis ball and a stick and taught the kids how to play baseball – or at least how to hit a ball with a stick. I was amazed at how quickly they picked it up. They were sending my pitches way down town!

We then headed back to the hotel for dinner and the evening wrap up session – hopefully we can play a game or two together – I think our team needs some “down time” to just merge together. One or two of the team members, I believe, are still on the periphery of the group. Maybe a relaxed game will bring them in.

Many of the group are not sleeping well – I pray that God gives them a good nights sleep tonight. I have been waking up around 8:00 pm (Chattanooga time – 3:00 am here) and then staying awake for an hour and half or so – the first night I actually cleaned my room and organized my clothes, etc. I must have been tired.

Tomorrow we are going to Masajja and Namagoga Child Care Centers – and due to the distances we will be breaking up into 2 groups – I hope this gives us much to talk about tomorrow evening. Robin is supposed to return tomorrow (he has been in Bugongi with Reuben) I hope he had a wonderful time there as well. Well, tomorrow is another day – I look forward to what God brings…

No comments:

Post a Comment