Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Uganda Trip - Day 14


This morning we are heading back to Kampala from Iganga, so we left the hotel around 9 in the morning.  As we were driving back, we passed what I called “Monkeyville” because I saw 2 monkeys on the way up to Iganga.  We were scouring the countryside for monkeys, and at one point got a quick glimpse of 2 more monkeys.  I tried to take pictures, but didn’t get very good ones.  Michael (the driver) said he would pull over if we asked him to, but we continued on.  Then, all of the sudden, we saw the limbs of the tops of trees moving.  We called for him to stop, and he pulled over and the bus was electric with excitement to see monkeys.  Sure enough, they started to emerge – one here, one there, looking at us, jumping from branch to branch and from tree to tree.  We are not sure exactly how many monkeys we saw because they were moving around so quickly and were hidden by branches.  I got some great monkey pictures though!  Eventually we began heading home.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful at least until the evening.  As is typical for the last days of our trips, we took the opportunity to talk about preparation for reentering our own culture, and then went through a time of encouragement for the team.  I mentioned yesterday that we would be doing this, and a number of the people were concerned that they wouldn’t have something to say about some of the other members of the team.  Jessica recommended that we do “popcorn” praises for each other, but Saturo stopped by to see us, so we included him in our time.  Each person spent some time encouraging him in his ministry, and he was blessed by the team.

After we finished with Saturo, we began working our way around the team members.  We began this process at 8 o’clock, and at midnight I had to  ask the team if they thought they could continue.  With only 3 team members remaining, they agreed that it was late and they needed to get to bed because tomorrow is going to be an extremely long day. 

This activity of sharing what they saw God do in and through the other team members is one of the greatest things I think our teams do, and it is so extremely effective in helping team members realize their impact on others, and the magnitude of others impact on them.  The power is in the spoken blessing from one team member to another.  Our generation and our society miss out on the power of this in the home and in the church – I would love to see this implemented more in my circles.
 
Tomorrow is a long day, and I am staying up until 2 o’clock getting pictures ready for the team.  Almost 29 gig of pictures and video from this team – actually 15 gig of video.  We got some great shots!  I am looking forward to going home, but I will miss my friends in Uganda and the team members I have just gotten to know.  God is good – and I love seeing Him work in me and in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment