Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What are you proud of?

1Cr 15:34 Become sober-minded as you ought, and stop sinning; for some have no knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

I read this verse the other day, and it made me think of things that I am ashamed of and things I am proud of. Isn't it interesting that we can be proud of minor accomplishments - beating someone in a game of Jungle Jewels for instance. We boast in our athletic abilities, our cognitive ability, even our wit and sarcasm. We boast in things that we have little control over. We boast in things that we have NO control over. (ie- my team beat your team at football).

Conversely, our ability to experience shame has diminished over the years. Men used to be ashamed of seeing women inappropriately dressed, and women used to be ashamed to be seen like that. Men used to be ashamed to be lazy, to accept "charity" from others, for being a burden on others/society. Women used to be ashamed of inability to bear children, keeping a dirty house, etc.

Paul reminded me to think about the things I hold in high esteem and evaluate them in light of eternity. When I reach the other side, will I experience extreme shame for the things I held so proudly here on earth? Time wasted doing things of little or no value. Time wasted selfishly. Time wasted on things that are temporary. All the while, others are missing out on the good news of the Gospel.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment