Friday, September 17, 2010

Who is worth $50 million dollars?

As I sat and watched the Dallas Cowboys play the Washington Redskins last week, the commentator kept talking about this guy - Miles Austin. He would catch a ball, run, and even score a touchdown. A good player - without a doubt. An excellent player - definitely. The best player ever - that would be an difficult position to take, but some might say he is.

The announcer talked about how he stayed low to the ground, how he kept his feet moving, how strong his legs were... On and on throughout the game the announcers would talk of his ability. Then he made the comment, "That is why he is worth 50 million dollars!".

This comment floored me (as talk of pay for professional sports always does). Does this commentator realize that this guy is playing a game? Even if he plays it exceptionally well, it is still a game. It does not improve the value of life. It does not solve important issues of life. Actually, after the game is over, it is just something to talk about. IT IS A GAME!!

As I prepare for Haiti, and think of all of the places I have been in the world, I am reminded that we have our priorities screwed up, and we want to blame government, the president, and whomever else we can come up with. As long as people playing games are getting millions of dollars, while others are jobless, struggling financially, and others go to bed hungry, we've got things skewed.

I am not saying that hard working athletes should not be paid well to perform, but I will say that balance has been lost a long time ago. For an announcer to say a man is worth millions of dollars because he stays close to the ground when he runs has to make you wonder what we value.

What is it I value? What am I giving my money, time, resources to?

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment