Monday, August 30, 2010

What are you doing for Christmas?

I have started thinking about Christmas already - can you believe it? It's still August! Why am I thinking about it? Because this year I will be spending some of the Christmas season in Haiti.

At a time in the United States when we are inundated with consumerism and selfish pursuit, I am going to a country where poverty is overwhelming. I will be leaving the ads and promotions that tell me that I need a larger car, a better phone, a faster computer, etc. and I will enter a world where they need some food and water to make it through the day.

I have been given the opportunity to go to Haiti in October and December of this year, but I am not certain I am ready for what I am about to see. I am looking forward to the lessons that God is going to teach me while I am there, and I pray that He will show me the things I need to bring back with me to our culture here in America.

The team for October is fixed. It is made up of 2 doctors, 3 nurses and myself (the non-medical representative :-)) However the team for December has yet to be solidified. I am praying that God begins to work in their hearts as well - even though they don't know they are going yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment