Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peru Trip - Day 6

This morning began at 7:00 when we had breakfast. After breakfast we went back to the rooms to prep for the day. At 8:30 we gathered again for devotional time. As we reflected on our calling as salt and light, we had a wonderfully encouraging time studying the word of God. I am impressed with the thoughts of the team members as they share their desires to grow and serve God. I hope this trip continues to develop those passions in their hearts.

After devotions we prepared for the crafts for the kids we were going to see today. We made some samples of the flowers, the bag puppets, the bracelets, etc. Rebecca did a great job making sure we were ready. The kids seemed to respond well to the task that was ahead of them.

By 10 we still had not seen Erick. I was starting to wonder about him, but at 10:45 we had to leave for the child care center. We walked the 6 block walk and arrived just before 11. We were greated by a teacher who took us to Mily (Andres' daughter). She has been working on her English, and she did a great job helping us throughout the day.

About 11:15 Erick showed up – it was good to see him again. Between him and Rachel, we were able to communicate with the children, the teachers, and with Pastor Andres. The day was exhilarating. The kids began showing up around 11:20, and we got right to work. Flowers for everyone. They seemed to enjoy making them, but not nearly as much as the name bracelets we offered. They swarmed Zac, Erick and I as we tried to separate the letters for them to put on their bracelets. There were kids all around – 40 in all – but it seemed like a thousand. It was fun watching their eyes light up as they put together the bracelets.

!2:30 we had lunch, and by 1:00 the second crew (the younger children) began to swarm. Almost 100 children came into the room. We served them lunch, and then began working on the crafts with them. They were hilarious to watch as they worked on the flowers, the bracelets, the bag puppets. They worked hard at making the crafts look like they wanted.

As some of them finished, I took about 12 of them outside to play “American football”. This is the first trip I carried a football with me, but it will not be the last. The kids loved it, as did I. First we worked on throwing, and then I started to “tackle” the kids that held the ball too long. We started playing keep away, and the kids had a great time with that.

After a while, we headed back upstairs to get involved in other crafts, and I asked the team about pulling out the balloons. We did, and Lawson made a dog. Immediately the kids started yelling, “Espera”, which I thought must have meant that they wanted a dog too. But I was quickly taught by the kids that they wanted swords. So we did our best to make swords. I am no balloon animal or sword maker, but we did our best. We were being swarmed by kids. It was fun to watch Zac and Lawson try to stay ahead of the kids while Tony, Madison, and Price did their best to feed them blown up balloons. At the same time, Emily and Kelsey were on the other side of the room teaching the kids some “dance” moves. Thomas was getting beat up by a lot of the kids with their swords, and David, Michael and Rebecca were finishing up the crafts. They were all having a great time. Gina was catching much of it on the camera.

When it was time for the kids to go, Kelsey, Madison and some of the others grabbed candy and handed it out as the kids left. We left all of the extra supplies there for Soladod (the “manager” of the child care center) to use in the future. It is always a joy to provide supplies for them to continue the ministry that they are involved in.
On the way home, I talked with some of the team members and they really enjoyed working with the kids today. Gina in particular said how much she loved the chaos of doing the crafts with the kids. It really was a great experience for them.

After dinner, Ade brought a musical group to the hotel to play for us. The team loved listening to them and even participated in the songs (by yelling “ho” on the prompt from the guys). I was impressed with the little “guitar” player (not really sure what it was, but he played it very fast). They played a number of Christian songs, and then, after about an hour, they offered us the opportunity to purchase their CD. Some of the kids did. I purchased one so that I can use the songs for the team video. We will see how that works out.

As the evening wraps up, we are getting packed for tomorrow's trip back to Lima. The good news is that we don't leave until 9:30, so we will get up for breakfast at 7, but not be rushed to leave. This trip has kind of been a whirlwind, but it has been very helpful for me. My personal studies in Luke are drawing me to God, so I am really loving what I am learning.

The highlight of the day... A 30 minute conversation with my wife! I love being here in Peru, but how wonderful it will be when she can serve with me as I go on trips. God is challenging me to do whatever is necessary to make that happen. I need to get our finances in order, pursue the support I need to have, and make sure that we simplify our life to allow God to move us as he will. I am looking forward to this happening soon. In Gods time...

No comments:

Post a Comment