Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peru Trip - Day 5

I got a decent amount of sleep last night, and most of the team reported that they did as well. We had threats of rain, but we did not get any. As I woke up, the sun was already making it's way up behind the mountains, and we experienced an unusual morning activity. About 50 yards from our tent on the opposite side of the field, the team began to converge as the sunshine made it's way down the mountain and then across the field. There we stood in silence drinking up the beautiful surroundings and the warmth of the morning sun. Surrounded by mountains on every side, we just stood in awe of the greatness of our God. It was surreal.

After breakfast, we began the trek down the mountain to the bus. We dropped our things off at the truck, and carried only our backpacks with us. Ade assured us that it was only a “short walk” to the bus, but after about an hour, we started to wonder. The team was thrilled with the fact that all of the walking was downhill. At one point, we crested a hill and it dropped off with an incredible view of the snow capped mountains across the valley. The team sat to rest, and Pushpi, Leopoldo, and Andres caught up to us. Ade asked them to give their testimonies, and we sat for about an hour and listened to the story of how God had called Pushpi and Leopoldo into the ministry. It was thrilling to hear of the steps that God used to get them into the ministry of reaching the Quechuan people. Knowing that we were a part of their story made the time there that much more exciting.

Eventually we caught up with the truck that had our luggage in it, and then another truck with cut down trees in it met up with us. Ade had us all load up on the back of this big truck, and we all loved the opportunity to experience the trail a little faster. It was fun as I was in the back of the truck (outside the gates) standing on the bouncing trees hanging out the back. It was kind of like being on a mobile diving board. Anyway, we finally got to the bus that took us to the hot springs.

Speaking of which, the hot springs here in Peru was a large swimming pool naturally fed by the hot water from underground. It was nice getting clean even though the water was a little green. We watched as Orlando tried to learn how to swim. By the time I realized that was what he was doing, I had already gotten out of the pool. Maybe next time I can help him a little.

From there we headed back to Huaraz. This is an interesting story. We called for 3 taxis, 2 showed up. We put the girls into 1 taxi and most of the guys with David in the other. Tony, Price, Madison and myself were left with Ade and 5 other guys. When the next taxi showed up about 15 minutes later, all 10 of us got into a station wagon. 4 of us in the back seat, and the other 5 guys in the back. Needless to say, it was a little crowded. When we reached the highway, Ade put the 4 of us in a taxi and gave the driver directions. He took us to Huaraz, but could not find the hotel. We were all of 2-3 blocks away, but since we came in from another direction, I did not recognize anything. Eventually we made it back after another person helped us.

While the rest of the team rested, I took a walk to meet with Andres and then go get Aloe for the kids that were sun burned. I had a nice visit with Andres (as best as I could with my limited Spanish)), and then headed off to find aloe. I got to the pharmacia and could not find aloe anywhere. Astria (a missionary lady from Family International) assisted me in finding actual aloe plants. She was a rather interesting lady. A mother of 10 children, with most of them serving in ministries all around the world. We found the aloe and I purchase some. It was rather cool as I cut the plant open to give to the kids. Madison was the first to ask for some, and as I cut it apart and it slimed all over the place, she tried shutting the door on me until I convinced her to at least try it. Rebecca was the worst burnt, and she said it helped her a lot.
After dinner we all went downtown. We exchanged some money, and then headed to the market. On the way, I heard, “Ken Ivins”. I turned around and looked at this young man. I didn't recognize him originally, but when he said my name again, I realized it was Erick Jamanca – the guide from last year. While the others shopped, Erick and I spent some time talking and planning for the future. He says he plans to join us tomorrow – we will see :-).

As we headed back to the hotel, we stopped for ice cream. The kids really enjoyed it. It is rather flavorful.

We returned to the hotel and got ready for bed. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment