Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Doing The Work

On my way to work this morning, I was thinking about my responsibilities at work. I am a missionary by title. It is my job. What should a missionary be like? What should a disciple of Christ be like?

The thought began to work on me - or maybe it was the Spirit - anyway, shouldn't a missionary/disciple of Jesus be primarily concerned with the spiritual end of others? Shouldn't my heart bleed constantly for the millions of people who are living without Christ? More importantly, shouldn't my heart yearn for the salvation of the people in my immediate circle of influence?

Don't get me wrong, I love people, and desire that they know Christ - but if I am honest, it does not consume me! As a missionary, I am required to raise support - sometimes that consumes me. As a disciple (and a Sunday School teacher), I desire to disciple others - sometimes that consumes me. As a husband and a father, I desire to minister to my family and lead them spiritually - sometimes that consumes me. As a man, I desire to care for my health - sometimes that consumes me. As a typical American, I need to pay my bills - sometimes that consumes me.

I need to pray more - for the salvation of people in my immediate influence and for the people of the world. I need to pray more - for the Lord of the harvest to send forth more workers. I need to pray more - for the workers that are already working. I need to pray more - for the disciples of Christ to live as He would. I need to pray more - for God to do a work in my heart to soften in again to the real needs of the world around me (both close and far off). I need to pray more.

No comments:

Post a Comment