Saturday, April 4, 2009

How's your health?

Just recently, my wife informed me that I was getting a little soft in the middle. She had noticed that some of my pants were getting a little tighter. I informed her that they were older clothes, so after many years of washing, I was certain they had shrunk. However, my teenage daughters were quick to agree with their mother, and note my physical imperfections. Add to this the addition of the Wii Fit in our home, and the fact that it listed me as "overweight", and I had to admit that there were some changes to be made.

Enter P90X - the workout routine that has been attributed to thousands of deaths in the United States alone - seriously, it is a major workout! We have changed our daily routine to include a 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour workout at 5:30 in the morning. We have changed our daily diet to follow the P90X recommended diet. We have included new "recovery" drinks to our daily habits. In other words, P90X has changed every area of my life. I work out differently, eat differently, relax differently, think differently. And yes, after only 7 weeks, we are seeing results.

There is one reality that I cannot escape though, and that is that regardless of my "changed" life and routine, the inevitable is going to happen. I will get old, I will be begin to "fall apart", I will ultimately die. Which is why it is imperative that I make sure that my spiritual health is as much a concern as my physical health!

I need to think differently, act differently, live differently. My schedule should include healthy spiritual food - by reading of God's word. It should include healthy spiritual exercise - by putting into practice the principles that can be found in the word. It should included healthy spiritual thinking - by interacting with the Spirit of God that wants to renew my thinking.

My patterns should also include someone else to "work out" with. Someone to check to make sure I am practicing correctly the things I am learning. Someone to encourage me to move forward when I would rather stay where I am. Someone to stretch me, challenge me, rebuke me, assist me... A group of people is probably necessary for the duration.

So, how's your health? Is your "bubble in the middle"? Are you carrying around a few extra pounds? Then start an exercise routine (I do recommend P90X highly).

More importantly though, how's your spiritual health? Are you prioritizing growth in this area as well? Are you different than you were last year? Are you closer than ever to reflecting Jesus to the world around you? Are you a little soft where you once were solid? If so, make the changes. Take the steps toward spiritual health - because those changes are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment