Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easton Baptist Church - Guatemala Trip - Day 1


The day started very early for the team as they met at the church at 1:30 to head to the airport – for me the day started a little later as I didn’t have to be at the airport until 4:30 (and I was staying at the Days Inn right down the road).  All of us arrived at the airport with plenty of time to board our planes, and since we only had a little less than an hour layover, the fact that our planes were on time was wonderful. 

I arrived in Miami early, well before the team.  They landed at 9:09, and by the time they arrived, they were boarding zones 1-4!  Yes, they walked from one plane to another – without a moment to spare.
We arrive in Guatemala around 10:30, and by noon (local time) we were at Thelmas.
After our usual orientation with Phil and Brian, we had lunch and settled in for a day of relaxing and preparing for the week ahead.  We spent some of the afternoon reading through the book of Philippians in preparation for our devotions throughout the week.  I always love hearing the kids get in groups to discuss what they are reading and sharing with each other what they learned from the Bible.
Some of the team took a walk. Some of the team members napped.  Some played soccer.  It was a great day of just getting to know everyone and building a “team” identity.
We spent some time during lunch and dinner talking about the days ahead and talking about the ministry we are going to have here.  I enjoy hearing team members wrestle with the differences that they have seen so far, and getting excited about the week ahead.
After dinner, Brian and Phil brought their families over for a time of games and interaction.  They even brought ice cream!!  It was a wonderful treat for the team, and it was a great time of fellowship with the Dennetts and the Wilsons.
Thought for the day:  This is my second trip here to Guatemala this year, and it never ceases to amaze me that every time I come I learn something new.  This is my 17th trip in less than 60 months, and you would figure that by now I would have a good handle on this country.  But even in my first day back, I am still learning about this beautiful country.
My thought is in reference to other things I am very familiar with, but still continue to learn about.  I study the Bible, and it seems that when I am really looking to learn something new, God teaches me more about Himself and who He is.  I study my wife, and it seems that when I am really looking to know her better, I learn new things about her that help me realize what a precious treasure she is to me.  I learn about my children, my friends, myself, and when I put the work into really studying them so that I can know them more, I continue to grow in my knowledge of them.
Lord, help me never get too lazy to do the work to know You more.  Help me never be satisfied with a status quo relationship with my wife and children.  Help me seek to learn more about others that I might better be able to lead them to You.  Help me to know You more that I might be better able to introduce people to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment