Friday, March 7, 2014

Cedarville University - Peru Trip - Day 7

The last day... or at least the last day at the centers.  This will probably be a very emotional day.  From the highs of celebrating the new Buen Pastor Facility to the lows of leaving both the centers and saying good bye to the children.  It is going to be a difficult day.

The day began just like all the rest with a brisk 20 minute walk to the church where we had breakfast and did our devotions together - Philippians 2:1-11.  We talked about having the mind of Christ, who being God almighty willingly offered Himself as a sacrifice on our behalf on Calvary.  If He could do it, so should we!

From there we were off to the centers.  First, the Spiros Zodhiates Center in Saul Cantoral.  We taught the story of Jonah, and then sang some songs.  Then we went and played games together.  The team just played with the kids, loved on the kids, and connected with them in any way possible.  We took group photos, we went on a "parade" around the block promoting their love for God and their love for the people of the neighborhood.  Then we gave the kids some candy and we parted ways. 

Harold stopped by all dressed up for school, just to say good bye and have his picture taken with me.  He is getting so big - just like Harrison.

We headed to the Buen Pastor Center where we did it all over again.  Bible story, singing, games, and playing with kids.  We went on a visit to see a little 10 year old boy who could not walk, but wanted to see us (his sister told us he wanted to see us).  I wished so badly that I could heal his little legs, but I know his loving Father desires to see him grow in Christ, and if this is the means by which He is going to do it, I don't want to interfere.  However, I will ask my Father to heal his legs - if it be His will.

By the way, when we first arrived, we decorated the place with streamers and balloons.  After playing with the kids, we pulled out the cake we bought this morning and celebrated God giving them a place to come to get spiritual and physical food.  We had a wonderful time of celebration, and eventually had to come home.

The team did an excellent job loving the kids well - I know the kids will miss the team, and I know the team members will never forget their time with the children.

Dinner was at the Italian place down the street, and we had pizza!  It was great.  After dinner, we went back to the hotel, did a 2:18 with Holly, and talked about our week, our day, our lessons, and what God was teaching us.  We also discussed the day tomorrow - especially the shopping.

It has been a great week, and we look forward to a little rest and relaxation to cap the week off.

Thought for the day:  At one point this afternoon, the kids kicked the soccer ball over the wall down into the school yard.  It is about a 20 foot drop, so the kids could not go get the ball.  However, a 5-6 year old boy was already down there, so everyone called for him to throw the ball back up to the rest of the group.  However, no matter how hard this kid tried, it was not going to happen.

It kind of reminded me of times in my life when the obstacle ahead of me was to huge to conquer, and yet I, just like this little boy, just kept on trying to do it myself.  There were others in the yard who could easily send the ball back up, but the boy tried to do it himself.  Noble, yes, but foolish, definitely.  He neither had the strength, nor the ability to make the ball travel to the top of the wall.

When I reach these types of situations, I should go to the One who can do it first, and rest in His ability to do what needs to be done, instead of doing all I can do to make it happen - especially when others are cheering me on to keep trying.  It is my pride and arrogance that cause me to think I can do the impossible, when humility would ask me to lean on the One who truly can.

God help me know the difference between the issues in my life that I need to work through, and the ones I need to bring before Your throne.  Help me place all issues of this life in Your hands, and be faithful to listen to Your prompting as to whether I ought to move forward, or wait on You.

No comments:

Post a Comment