Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chattanooga Medical Team - Guatemala Trip - Day 5

Okay, so the strangest thing happened last night – I heard people speaking Spanish in my head.  No, I could not understand what they were saying, but what is interesting is it was going on in my head.  In other words, there wasn’t anybody actually talking, I was just “thinking” I was hearing it.  The words were able to be understood, and (as is typical) I could understand a few words, but the overall thoughts I could not capture.  Bizarre!


Anyway, today began again with breakfast, a brief devotional from Ephesians, and the team went back to work.  By 8:00 I was back at the computer checking on e-mails, facebook posts and posting to the blog ( we lost internet again last night).  I got some snacks ready for the team, checked on drinks, and then began my Spanish recap so I am ready for Jose to show up at 9.  Karina started asking me questions about Spanish words and phrases. “How do you say…”  I am getting better, but I still feel like a 3 year old trying to talk to college professors.  Humbling for sure!

Well, he showed up and away we went – 2 more hours of feeling like I know less and less. Everyone seems to be getting in on the fun to help me learn the language.  I pray that some of this sticks.  He did something different today – we took a book and translated conversations, we looked at pictures and said what everything was, he gave me a lot of vocab to study.  Tomorrow is adjectives and verbs.  He thought we had another week – I couldn’t handle another week.  It reminds me to pray for Richard Hetzel and his wife as they are going through language school in Costa Rico for the next year.

Eventually Julio took me to the bank to exchange everyone’s money.  $1950 total!  Do you know what it is like walking down the streets of Cubulco with a wad of 15,465Q??  It’s hard to hide. 

The team came out for lunch around 1:30 – rather late – but they had done 6 cases already this morning.  They have 8 cases left to finish today.  They are very impressive!!  Kristen is suffering from a crick in her neck – I tried rubbing it out, but you could tell she was still very tight.  By the way, the doctors and the nurses love the shoulder massages at mealtimes – I think it might even be a highlight.

I wasn’t sure I would have much to write about today, but I was asked to take a moto ride through town to the AMG Airport here in Cubulco.  Yes, AMG has a 28 manzana (I thought it was apples, but apparently it is like “acres”) property that used to be an airport, and now it is a field for 26 cows and 24 people farm some of the property raising corn.  It was a beautiful place – I was thinking “camp”.  Who knows – maybe someday this will be a local camp for the kids.

When I returned to the hospital, I was talking with the team and they told me that they wouldn’t be ready for dinner until about 7, so I sat down and listened to Kendra’s soccer game.  I was sad for her at some level because her team lost 8-2, but at the same time, I was very encouraged because she stopped a number of shots – over 30 shots were made and more than 18 of them were on goal.  The fact that she let up 8 (with one of her teammates scoring on her as well) is difficult for her, but really it’s not a bad place to start – especially since the team she was playing is ranked 11th in the NCAA division II.

The team finally finished – 16 surgeries in all.  Very impressive!!  About 8 o’clock we were eating and talking.  They were a bunch of buzzing bees – talking, laughing, sharing, etc.  It was great to watch. Shoulder massages all around – everyone was relaxing and enjoying each others company.  Kristen was still tight in the neck, so I took some extra time to relax her neck, but as a result we were able to talk about God, His grace, His Son’s righteousness that has been freely given to us, etc.  What an encouraging time – I pray that others will continue to hear it as she shares with them as she returns to Chattanooga.

Enough for today – last day of class, last day of surgery, last full day in Cubulco tomorrow.  It’s sad, but I am really missing the family and am looking forward to seeing them on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment