Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chattanooga Medical Team - Guatemala Trip - Day 4

Today was more of the same.  The team woke up and got ready for breakfast.  As they ate, Brian Dennett shared a little about the hospital, the history, the vision for the future, and the purpose of the ministry.  He had to be brief as the team was ready for work and patients were waiting.

Brian, Nico and Chad were still hanging around and getting ready to go.  Chad and I began talking, and as God lead, I had the opportunity to share my testimony and story with him and Nico.  As always, the difficulty of sharing my arrogance and stupidity, my shame and guilt, was not very easy.  It seems the better I know people the harder it is because I guess I care about what they think about me.  It was another lesson in recognizing that it is really not about me, and if God gets the glory for my failure, I will glory in that.

Around 9:00 my tutor arrived, Jose Leon, and we got back to work.  He is a very gracious tutor, and I am not so sure that I am a very good student.  I will keep trying though.

Today is Theresa’s birthday, so the nationals came out at lunch time and sang happy birthday to her.  She really enjoyed them.  We plan to have some cake after dinner tonight.

The rest of the day was filled with 10 total surgeries for the team – 5 for each group.  In all they have completed 20 surgeries, which is the equivalent of a week’s work here, and we have 2 more days to go.  They still have over 20 surgeries planned.  We will see how the rest of the week goes.  They have had to disqualify a few because of temperatures, and they had to educate a few and let them know surgery was not necessary (for instance, one lady wanted her hemorrhoids removed before they became cancer – they had to tell her that hemorrhoids don’t become cancer).

I was able to see Antonio and Celestine again as they wanted to play ball again.  Kids keep coming by to see us, and probably more importantly, to get candy.  It is a joy watching the doctors and nurses taking opportunities throughout the day to stop and give a piece of candy, or a toy, a tattoo, or a hat to the children.  They are having a wonderful impact on these people.

Dinner was delicious – fried chicken and this amazing potato/carrot/green bean salad  - but what happened after dinner was even more amazing…  I had the opportunity to go to the pastelaria earlier today and get 2 cakes with white icing and fruit on the top for Theresa’s birthday.  We put the candles on the cake and brought it out to her as we sang.  She was overwhelmed.  As the candles burned, she sat almost in tears.  Later in the evening I had the opportunity to talk with her and she shared the emotion she was feeling at that time.  God is good and she was experiencing His love through the rest of the group.

As some of the team sat and talked, others walked the neighborhood and got some ice cream, I had the privilege of doing the laundry for the team.  I know they don’t understand, but it was a great opportunity to serve the ones who have been serving the people here this week.  My role is so minor in all of this, and I can’t help the team with much other than making sure they have drinks and snacks, etc. - having the honor of working on their laundry, getting their scrubs ready for the last 2 days of surgery was a joy.  Every part of the body doing what it is designed to do builds up the body in love.  That is what we are experiencing here as each part does what it is designed to do.

It was a late night, but what a joy it is to see God working in the lives of this group.  I am looking forward to hearing more from each of them as they are experiencing God this week.  Enough for now… time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment