Monday, October 17, 2011

Small, but not meaningless...

As I sat at Carson Newman this past weekend watching my daughter "try out" for their soccer team, a small butterfly was flittering about by me.  Since I had the zoom lens attached, I snapped a couple of pictures.  It was a blustery day with the wind blowing in various directions.  The sun was shining and it was warm and dry, but that wind was so powerful.

The butterfly did not seem bothered by the wind, it just went about it's business.  Flying here, landing there, taking off and flying again.  No real sense of direction as I watched, but it didn't seem bothered at all.

As I reflect on the day and this butterfly, I think about how small and insignificant this creature is.  It was easily buffeted about by the wind, yet, seemingly unhindered, it continued it's course.  What is the purpose of this butterfly?  As small as it is, and as powerless as it is, it seems rather useless and purposeless.

However, I know that our God has created this creature for His glory.  I couldn't help but watch it as it flew about.  I remember with fondness watching my kids chasing and trying to catch other butterflies, hoping not to harm them in the process.  I realize that although this butterfly has no home, no food stored, no "future plans", it is cared for by God.

How do I respond to these thoughts?  If God cares for the butterfly, if God uses a "meaningless" creature to bring Him glory, what will He do with me?  If God delights in the way this butterfly trusts wholly on Him to provide (because a butterfly does not have the capacity to do anything else), how much more would God delight in a cognitive person choosing to fully rely on Him for provision?

Yes, that butterfly was small, but the lessons learned are not.  God help me trust you when the wind blows strong, when the bills seem tight, when the hard times come.  I know You can handle it, help me to flesh that out by trusting you completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment