Monday, October 24, 2011

How big is your God?

Last night we discussed Psalm 46 in our home Bible study.  As I ponder that chapter, I have to ask, how big is my God?

If I worry about things - my God is too small.
If I depend on myself - my God is too small.
If I stress over change - my God is too small.
If I think I have a bettter way - my God is too small.
If I have to defend myself - my God is too small.
If I rest in my accomplishments - my God is too small.
If I fear the unknown - my God is too small.
If I try to hold on to what belongs to Him - my God is too small.
If I cannot give to others - my God is too small.
If I think He is not near - my God is too small.

What is the remedy for a small God?  I would suggest that the God of the Bible, the only true God, is more than just sufficient, He is more loving than we can comprehend, more holy than we can understand, more giving than we deserve.  He is not moved by our circumstances, but He is moved in love by our responses to them.  He desires to be the high tower we run to for safety.  He desires to be the stream from which we drink.  He desires to be the one, the only means of security for our lives, because HE IS THAT BIG.

If I do not recognize Him as enough, it is not Him that has the problem, but rather my understanding of who He is.  How do I get to know Him more?  Everything I need to know is recorded in His word - if I read it to get to know Him, I will find Him to be more than I could ask or think, after all, He is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment